Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sucky Breeders

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Sucky Breeders

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:16 pm

So far no one has told me that they wouldn't breed me a flighted bird because of law, yet I have heard countless excuses about how it is unethical to not clip birds, that it's for the bird's own good, that I'm crazy for wanting a flighted parrot etc, etc.

I don't have any of the magazines. That's why I asked that if someone finds listings in a magazine that are different than the ones already available online, if they could pass them on to me. If it's the same stuff available online then no worry, I can access it myself. But if there are good breeders so far behind the times that they are only listed in print, then I'd appreciate if someone could let me know about them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby triplebbirds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Ill get you a list tomorrow. no guarentee on how good they are but it might be worth a shot. Have you tried where you got kili as far as a recomenation? Its kinda funny like i have green cheek breeders, Yes i have a breeder that i recomend that breeds green cheeks. although he is not breeding anymore. So i guess in my mind that makes me the best breeder in the state.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby triplebbirds » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok i had sent you a PM. the one website i have found may be a good one.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Are you talking about Jean Pattison? I've contacted her but she doesn't have any available in the foreseeable future so she told me I should contact what turned out to be the sucky breeder.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Well, I don't know how you feel about shipping but my breeder here in Austin raises Greys and Capes and he certainly fledges his birds and always asks me whether I want them clipped or not before I take them home. He feeds uncolored pellets, fresh fruits and veggies etc. They do get some seed so you'd have to wean them off of that. He's a good breeder though. My birds from him are very healthy and happy little guys. The problem is the shipping and the being able to visit the baby which are pretty big problems.

Anyway, you can check him out at oldworldaviaries.com
His prices are quite reasonable as well.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Ah yes. I've heard of him. I contacted him and he doesn't expect any babies till spring. I've also contact Jean Pattison. I'm going to continue looking at other breeders but will probably go to one of those two when they have babies if I have not found anyone closer, better, or sooner.

It looks like I have no option about shipping. If I get a cape, it will have to be shaped. The sucky breeder I mentioned is closest at probably a 5-7 hour drive. Everything else is even further and would have to be shipped.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Well, if you know somebody through this site that you trusted that lived close to whoever you choose, they could at least check out the breeder and nursery in person for you and maybe even check on your baby for you. I've only ever heard good things about Jean Pattison and I know from personal experience that Scott Lewis is a great breeder.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm

I look at breeders from a different standpoint. Would i buy from them? And more importantly would i model my breeding practice after them? Do i agree with their style? And do they inspire me? I looked up Jean Pattison and did enjoy reading about her. Definatly seen some things i would like to model. I also had read on the old world aviaries. Same thing. Enjoyed what i read and learned a lot. Breeders that ship are usually very quick to offer references to ease your mind. Also see if they are a member of an online forum. That might help get an idea on them.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:37 pm

One option I have is to get the bird shipped as a baby, pay full retail to the breeder (without wholesale discount), and then have someone raise it locally for me. However, with such a rare species, I doubt a local hand feeder could do a better job than the experienced breeders who handle a lot of them. Which leads me back to a mail order parrot. I use that reference completely in a joking/sarcastic manner in case anyone hasn't realized.

triplebbirds, those are my two primary considerations. I'm probably leaning slightly more towards Jean but that can easily change. I can tell that she knows what she is doing and she can tell that I know enough and am a respectable customer just the same. The so called sucky breeder (who I was very tempted to mention by name but decided not to, but if anyone asks in private I have no hesitation to say), could not possibly be a good breeder with the constant need to self-promote, self-praise, and try to belittle my knowledge/experience.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:52 pm

As a hand feeder myself, I think that letting the breeder who has hand raised the rare species before is probably your best bet. All parrot species differ in how they are hand fed to some degree. You would probably have a hard time convincing a reputable breeder to ship a very young chick to somebody else in any case.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species