Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sucky Breeders

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Sucky Breeders

Postby triplebbirds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 am

Ok im a bit ashamed ive never heard of them. so with my super powers of google i have found them. I just found one breeder in texas. Doesnt have any babies right now. But that may be the best way to go. Find one and be on a waiting list.Ill hunt more after work.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:44 am

I thought you were looking at a greys?
What made you decide on an uncape parrot?
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:56 am

I haven't ruled greys out completely but right now I'm at maybe 55% uncape, 25% timneh, 20% congo. I've read such incredible stuff about capes and I dunno what it is but I like em right away. Greys it's kind of a love/hate thing for me right now. Cognitively I know I want a grey cause they're supposed to be smartest and there are so many things I could train them but my gut feeling is that I love capes.

The trouble with capes is that there are so few breeders that breed them and then beyond that there are so few GOOD breeders. I've found some good breeders but they have nothing right now. Unfortunately only the sucky breeder has eggs but she said she'd never sell a bird to me anyway, "Michael I'm not going to sell you a bird so we really don't need to talk, you're too upsetting to me as far as what your expectations are from a parrot."

BTW triplebirds, if you're just looking at birdbreeders.com and google, I've been going through all of those. Don't spend time looking through typical means if you suggest anything. But if you have a magazine, list, or something else that has breeders that aren't listed online, that could be REALLY helpful. Thanks.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 am

michael i will buy the bird for you from the stinky lady! maybe she will like me better? hahah kidding! i have a question though, maybe there was already a post about combining birds.. you will have a seperate cage? how do u think kili will react? how long have you had kili for? Sry, I'm being personal/nosey? u can tell me to hush up :P
in the future, i would definitely love to get another bird, i'm just afraid because charlie is SOO attached to me, it is crazy! I don't want him to end up hating me for adding another friend :) i know theres a lot on the net and in my books about adding another bird but I haven't started looking into it just yet. anyway, i do wish you luck in finding what you're looking for!!
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:51 am

I've had Kili a year and a half. She is a one person bird and really attached to me. She is extremely smart and easily trained by anyone. She never bites me but bites other people if they bother her.

This is why I could never get a bird smaller than Kili because she would probably kill it. Of course any bird I'd get would be in a separate cage. I'm planning to get an African Grey or UnCape parrot because bother are bigger birds and should be able to fend for themselves. I'm mostly worried about Kili trying to bully the baby but this is just another reason why I am looking exclusively for a flighted bird. The flighted bird can always just fly away if Kili bothers it.

So basically new bird must be flighted and bigger so it could defend itself cause Kili can be quite a bully. That's just how Senegals are. Like small dog, big bite. These little Senegals always feel like they have to act big. I've seen a video of a Senegal Parrot attacking a macaw. On the other hand I am concerned that in the long term Kili could get hurt. Grey/Cape are much bigger and could one day realize it doesn't have to back down from Kili cause she's smaller. On the other hand she will continue to think it's her territory so there could be a bad fight where neither one wants to back down. On the other hand I could get lucky and they become friends. I'm going to have to see what happens and deal with things as they come. Luckily with flight, I think they can work things out on their own.

I'm buying another parrot for me, not for Kili. So if I am forced to only let one out at a time, so be it. Of course it would be convenient for everything to work out but I'm willing to work through it if it does not. So yes, I have thought about this for months now and I know what I'm in for.
Michael
Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 am

Awesome! I think it will definitely be good in the end and worth having both of them. i don't know the other parrot you are considering so I did google it too and it looks like a nice bird, very pretty. always love the grey's too but i'm sure you'll make a good decision.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 am

Michael wrote:I'm mostly worried about Kili trying to bully the baby but this is just another reason why I am looking exclusively for a flighted bird. The flighted bird can always just fly away if Kili bothers it.

That's a really good point, one I hadn't thought of.

Make sure you start a post after you bring the new bird home, I'm really interested in reading about how it works out!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm probably going to start a blog about it when it happens. I'm planning to try to write a full guide about living with a flighted parrot, flight training, teaching tricks to a parrot that can just fly away, etc. I really want to show the world that it is totally possible to live with flighted parrots (and that's the fun part about them that differentiates them from other pets). I want to show the world that breeders like aforementioned sucky breeder don't know what they are talking about and that parrots can be kept flighted.
Michael
Macaw

Postby triplebbirds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Ok I have my mags at the post office. AKA my hide-a-way. I will hunt there tomorrow. Not sure what you have looked at but on birdbreeders.com there are 13 listed that breed Brown Necked Poicephalus, Not all of them have a premium membership that allows you to list what you currently have available. Trying to find anything on these birds is difficult to say the least. I dont know of any one that breeds them or it would be much easier. Other than those 13 that are listed. Im sure you have already contacted some if not all of them. Like i said i can check in the mags but not sure i can find it there. Avian web didnt have anything listed for breeders. Check those southern states out. Ill keep my eyes open for ya though.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby triplebbirds » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok possible obvious question. Have you tried bird talk magazine? I found 1 breeder in CA but then it got busy at work. Apparently that is why i go to work.. to work. Who knew. But i found one and it just had a phone number and email listed.

Also is it possible that there is a legal issue with breeding these birds as being flighted. Ie. Here in ohio, we cant have flighted quakers. So that might be an issue there. I only try and keep up with what i raise and the laws in the bordering states. So if there is a law on these guys being flighted that may be a hangup for you. Just a thought.
triplebbirds
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species