Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Caiques and White-fronted Amazons

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Caiques and White-fronted Amazons

Postby liz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Wow
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby CinnamonParrots » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:58 pm

have you thought about conures? perhaps blue crowned, gold capped or maybe even patagonian conures? Or maybe even a Jardines/uncape parrots? they are roughly more closer to size than white-fronted amazons. When I met a young white fronted amazon, I felt its personality to be a mix between a pionus and a typical amazon, and I know size is a factor, but as long as it's not an enormous difference, I wouldn't be incredibly cautious as to the size. I watch a pet store with 2 white fronted pionus, 2 black headed caiques and 1 dusky pionus all hang out in their aviary, and they all got a long fine, personality wise the dusky kept to him self and the 2 caiques were playing together more than mingling with the other birds. I'm not a huge fan of caiques because they have very energized personalities that despite their size, I would rather handle macaws than caiques O_O but I may be bias.
CinnamonParrots
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: GC Conure, Fisher's Lovebird & Blue Budgie
Flight: No

Postby cml » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks for your reply =)!

I have contacted a caique owner that wants to get rid of his bird, so it might be a rescue there, we'll see how it pans out. I will look into conures for sure, especially the blue crowned looked the match for a white-front. Most people dont realise just how small they are compared to other amazons, and just assume they mix well with them ^^. Any other advice =)?
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby cml » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Good news, we have a candidate =).

A bronze winged pionus, from all the information Ive been able to gather from talking to a myriad of people, everyone seems to think these will mix well. They are roughly the same size, give or take an inch or 50g, and the bird we've found is the same age as Stitch, and was born this summer.
He is an aviary-bird though, and parent-raised, but I dont think taming him will be too hard (knock on wood) as he is still very young. What do you think? As you might have noticed in me reccomending pionuses in earlier threads, I am very excited that we might get one!

We are very happy that we've found a good candidate, even if it means me travelling 400km ^^.
cml
African Grey

Postby Polarn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:12 am

I wouldnt consider an aviary-bird, parent-raised to be a problem, might take some more patience to tame him. I just got my blue-fronted amazon who is an aviary, parent-raised bird, born june this year. yesterday, meaning day 4 he allowed me to gently pet him around the beak and the front of the neck. I also think he starts to understand the clicker since i now can grab his beak and hold it for a few seconds before i click and he wont try get the treat until i have clicked.

Happy your getting a friend for stitch. My little Polarn is still alone in his cage but I want to be able to handle him properly before introducing him to a friend, however outside the cage I found him grooming the small bird when they sat on the curtains, is this a problem? seeing you seemed concerned about sizes. thought i might as well ask here, if i should make sure to not have Polarn out together with Pelle, who is a cockatiel and much smaller than Polarn?
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby cml » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am

Only if they get into a fight. With supervision it could be okay, but my goal is that they should be able to live in the same cage :) .
cml
African Grey

Postby Polarn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 am

yeah ive been thinking about what is Polarn desides to bite him etc.
However the little :greycockatiel: kinda helps Polarn to dare to explore stuffs that isnt nessesary the highest spot in the room.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby cml » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:44 pm

I think that sounds great, just be sure to keep a watchful eye all the time, and be prepared to step inbetween them. Amazons are quite hard biters when they are angry ^^.
cml
African Grey

Postby laducockatiel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:59 pm

cml wrote:Here is one with me and Stitch gaming, I think it shows his size quite well. I dont have that many with him and me, most are of only him, making it hard to relate to his small size ^^.

I never knew amazons were that small, I've never seen one in real life.
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby cml » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 pm

They are not!

Its only this type of amazons that are =), white fronts are the smallest species of amazon there is! Usually amazons are about twice the size of Stitch ^^.

Have a look at Liz' amazons in the picture thread, or maybe Polarn can post a pic for comparison, he has a bluefronted amazon.
cml
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species