Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What characteristics of parrots are most important to you?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What characteristics of parrots are most important to you?

Postby Kathleen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:32 pm

What are your priorities in terms of characteristics for a parrot? What were you most interested in? This could be one you already own or one that you hope to own some day. What do you like most about that kind of parrot? Did talking ability, trick ability, plumage, loudness or other factors lead you to choose?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: What characteristics of parrots are most important to you?

Postby maca02370 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:02 pm

I am currently looking into a few different species for a new edition to my family. I would like a small hand-fed bird, not too loud, likes more than one person, and doesn't bite too hard. So far I've been looking into Budgies, Lineolated Parakeets, and Parrrotlets. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! and congrats on the new forum. I love your videos on youtube.
maca02370
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 pm

I imagine that these types of birds are very similar. They're all very small and I'm sure they have similar temperaments.

I've only owned a budgie out of those three but I haven't heard anything bad about the other two. I would suggest going to breeders or bird stores which sell these birds and ask if you can hold one and interact with it a little bit. Get a feel for each type.

Budgies are generally not aggressive birds (especially the males), they're pretty quiet although they can be a little chatty. Compared to some other birds, they seem quiet. And if they do bite, they can't bite too hard. It won't hurt that much.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:11 am

What I looked for?
Well, knowing I was going to be in an apartment, I wanted something that was known to be relatively quiet, hence how I ended up with Poicephalus parrots. Pionuses were also an option, but I liked that the Poicephalus were slightly more active (yet not over excited) and I liked the different type of Pois' look better than the Pionus.
I also wanted birds that would be able to entertain themselves for a while without having any issues; the Poicephalus also answered that criteria. They are independent, yet will come to me for some attention as well.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby greatgriffin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am

The way we got wound up was actually an initiation from her side. (As it often happens :lol: )
I had been looking in pet shops for some time already, not really intensively, but on this one occasion this bird just caught me.
She was so active, so curious, she would keep coming back to the cage bars and nibble on my finger. She simply picked me.
I could not leave her. Love at first sight?
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 am

I fell in love with a sweet little baby myer's parrot last week. People that were playing with it previously kind of overwhelmed it and so I left it alone for a while and then later I went back to it to play with it a little. Didn't bite at all, just little nibbles/beaking. It loved petting and loved attention.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:55 am

Meyer's tend to be quite nice.
It always easy to fall in love with a cute loving baby but one has to keep in mind that they will not remain as sweet as they are as babies; they can remain very nice but will go through adolescence and forge their personality more.

Keeping that in mind, I'm sure a Meyer's would do well with you guys :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Don't go giving her any ideas! :)
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Oh no!
I wan't intending to get a senegal parrot at all when I found my Noodle, or he found me.
I frequent the 3 pet stores here in Columbia that have birds and I had never really heard anything about Senegals.
I went into the store and was interacting with all the birds and asked if I could hold the Senie.
They said sure but be careful because he was nippy.
Noodle came right out for me and walked all over me and then just settled in my hand to be cuddled.
After visiting him 3 more times it was all over for me.
I bought him and have never regreted it!! :senegal:
Same thing with Marvin. I wanted an CAG so I went to a great bird store in St. Louis to put a
deposit down on a baby but they had Marvin out and we bonded and now he's in my living room throwing apples on the floor! Horray for birds!
My flock is complete! (until I get a bigger house!!)
Sounds like this Meyers may be trying to capture your heart! :D
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Mona » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:48 pm

I know two meyers, both hens and both are around 10 years old and rehomes.

They are social butterflies. They are just really fun little birds. The only disadvantage seems to be that they really, really like to chew. I don't think I could have one because I think Babylon would be persistent about driving away the competition - especially if it's a hen....but I think Meyers are one of the top companion parrot species. They are basically smaller and less aggressive Senegals.

The two Meyers I know really love trick training and they are both great flyers even though they both had been clipped for many years.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey