Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What characteristics of parrots are most important to you?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: What characteristics of parrots are most important to you?

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:45 pm

They are definitively more laid back than Caiques.
Caiques are more like Loris where energy and having to move constantly are concerned.
Trust me, no Poicephalus really can compare to them in that regards, they are much calmer. Active, but no where near as active.

As with biting, every caique owner I've talk to in person, and there were a few, were worried about an unexpected nip on a stranger. Not every senegal owner I've met (and any other Poi) had the same concern.

Edit: I also believe that Sennies bites are more predictable. There might be just a little warning, but you know it's coming (although maybe too late). Not always the case with Caiques I was told. One of the owners I've met would let their Meyer's and Hawkhead go to anyone. Their Caique? No. And they would warn anyone wanting to approach it that the likeliness of them getting bit was almost guaranteed. It did jump on my SO and took a chomp out of him before returning to his perch.

Anyways, I did mention it wasn't the nippiness as much as the extra energy they have that would stop me from getting one.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Hubert » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:13 am

I really like the caiques, they have a great (but difficult) personality. Its a nice bird but if kept alone, it needs a LOT of attention. They are able to talk a few words, not a great talker.

Pro:
They are very playfull, not very loud compared to other parrots. They are social towards human and fellow caiques. Real climbers and they love to walk/hop around.

Cons: its a bird on steroids, their attention span is very short. They usually don't get along well with other birds.

Also funny: Caique 'surfing', they rub their body against clothes. This natural behaviour is normaly for bathing (moisture from leaves).

Less funny: If a caique doesn't like you, you will be cased!
Hubert
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: one Blackheaded Caique, two cockatiels, two peach-faced Lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby miamore » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:20 am

i find sennies to be a beautiful bird. i know a person that jumped from having tiels to adding a sennie. she said it was the best thing she ever did. i myself find that i would rather be bitten by my tiels or gcc then my budgies anyday. i have nasty marks for budgie bites and my husband has scars from them. we have one that i hand raised and he isnt nice at all. handled alot but after a month of being weaned turned nasty. i would say for a first time bird owner that wants a smaller quiet bird go with a female cockatiel or even a male. my budgies are louder then my tiels. green cheeked conures arent bad either. they have a little bit of an attitude at times but then again what bird doesnt? cockatiels are much easier to train then budgies. we have a few tiels that were never handled and within a month they were all over us and following us everywhere.
miamore
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgies,cockatiels,and a gcc.

Postby pchela » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Never spend over $1000 for a caique! My breeder sells his black heads for $650 and his white bellies for $750. Never buy from a pet store guys! They usually are around double the price of a breeder. My caique was $250 but she has a damaged beak and the breeder wanted to place her in an experienced home. So far, she's very calm for a caique. She does do the surfing which is really cute but no hopping yet. :cry:

My Senegal is fairly hyper and pretty loud.. he is really social and will go to anybody which I've heard is atypical of a Senegal as they tend towards being one person birds. Oddly, the only person he ever nips or bites is me and I'm his favorite. I got him because they are supposed to be quiet birds! He is certainly not that. Maybe my Senegal is defective? :lol:

My Meyers is a 13 year old rehome and her previous owner says she has never bitten anybody in her life. She is definitely sweeter than my Senegal and much more laid back.

My Red Belly is also a rehome from the same home as the Meyers. He is a very cautious, nervous bird. He really thinks about everything before he acts. All he really wants is to be with me and have me give him scratches. He's not much of a player even though Red Bellys are supposed to be the clowns of the poicephalus. He's a great talker though.

Hmmm... so I have a calm Caique, a social and loud Senegal and a reserved Red Belly. The only one who fits their species description is the Meyers. What am I doing wrong? :?

Anyway... to get to the OT, I really like a social parrot who is playful and sweet. Talking is cool and someday I'll get an African Grey but it's not the most important thing. Really I just want a sweet, friendly bird who is quiet and playful, potty trained and never bites! Ha! That will never happen!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 pm

pchela wrote:Never spend over $1000 for a caique! My breeder sells his black heads for $650 and his white bellies for $750. Never buy from a pet store guys! They usually are around double the price of a breeder.

I think that depends where you are...if they aren't readily available, it will drive up their prices.
I always found that the price of parrots was higher in Canada than what you would find in the US.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm

I have heard that caiques are more expensive in Canada. Are other parrots more expensive as well?

Regardless, you should still pay considerably less from a breeder than a pet store.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to Parrot Species