Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

rosellas and kakarikis as companion birds

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

rosellas and kakarikis as companion birds

Postby rosella » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 am

hi everyone, nice to meet you all.
im wondering if anyone on here has a rosella or kakariki as a companion bird and not just an aviary bird. i was planning on getting either a handfed baby eastern, crimson or rubino rosella or a handfed baby lutino red fronted kakariki from a breeder. my main concern is that these birds both have a very bad reputation of being terrible companion birds and rosellas are ALWAYS said to make horrible pets. is this all true? can someone who has either of these birds please chime in on negatives and positives.
thanks

on a side note what kind of out of the ordinary colorful medium-small parrots make good pets?
rosella
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: gouldian finches
Flight: Yes

Re: rosellas and kakarikis as companion birds

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 am

Hi there!!

I have a crimson rosella and I think he is a wonderfull pet :) He is semi-tame, we actually found him outside. We dont have an aviary so Joe is an inside bird. They like to fly, are famous for that. Joe will take treats from my hand and will let me touch his feet and beak, Im sure that with a bit more training he could become tame. There are plenty of people in Holland that have Rosellas as pets, check on youtube.

I can definitly recommend a Rosella... they aint too noisy (when they get their way :lol: ) They are good whistlers, make very pretty sounds.
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby rosella » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:04 pm

wow i love hearing good replies about rosellas lol, i hate that their reputation is so bad. i always see them in those australian videos coming and eating from peoples hands so if they are wild and yet they still come to people, what potential do they have if trained properly. i think its either a bunch of inexperienced people or people who bought older rosellas trying to tame them down but because they have bad reputation their owners do not want to put any effort in because they dont believe they will get anything good out of it.
rosella
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Is a Kakariki the snow parrot?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby felix11 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I love kakarikis! It is definitely a bird I'm going to get in the future. They are very curious, playful and basically hyperactive. Their level of activity means you need to keep an eye on them constantly. Still, I think they are the sweetest and cutest birds.The only reason I don't one is because I think they are too demanding a pet for my situation right now.

I've never hung out with Rosellas, but people do say Rosellas may get aggressive at maturity...

A green cheek is the obvious choice as a small cuddly playful bird. You should look up princess parrots, too - beautiful, quiet, playful, good talkers.
Felix
felix11
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure
Superb Parrot

Postby rosella » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:26 am

as far as i know kakarikis come from new zealand and it never snows there so i dont think they are a snow parrot.

kakarikis are super hyper and playful...they are like a cartoon character in real life lol. they are beautiful birds and that is true that i believe that need to be watched constantly lol. i too have heard that rosellas can get aggressive with age but i think that if they get good training from a very young age they can make amazing pets just like most other parrots their size. i think green cheeks can make amazing pets but i want something out of the ordinary. princess of wales parakeets are absolutely stunning, extremely soft and sweet birds.....sadly VERY expensive and VERY rare here. i seen one in petstores a few years ago and if i remember correctly they wanted $2000 :shock: that was not going to work
rosella
Parrotlet

Postby Polarn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:09 am

I ckecked out the palm cockatoos here, mostly out of curiosity but there isnt too many breeders that manage to get offspring on them and thouse who succeed asks for 30k USD and up for them, that a brand new car, well could be a couple depending on what car you buy :)
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby rosella » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Polarn wrote:I ckecked out the palm cockatoos here, mostly out of curiosity but there isnt too many breeders that manage to get offspring on them and thouse who succeed asks for 30k USD and up for them, that a brand new car, well could be a couple depending on what car you buy :)

umm........i think you posted on the wrong thread lol
rosella
Parrotlet

Postby mtaylor1021 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 am

I posted this somewhere else, but I'll share it here too. When I was a kid we had an Eastern Rosella as a family pet. One of the best birds we ever had! Very tame bird, loved to be handled. Had a large vocabulary and a great whistle too. I was very surprised what other websites have said about them. If I could ever find a hand fed baby one I'd buy it in an instant.
mtaylor1021
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Budgie
Flight: No

Postby Aurora and I » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am

I have a Green (or Grass) Rosella,
she's semi tame now, and I have only had her for about 4 weeks, she will target, take food and I even converted her to pellets in 3 weeks.
Rosellas are beautiful, and they are a lot smarter than you think! Every day she surprises me how intelligent she is. She's pretty and a good singer!
I would recommend one, and if you get it from a good breeder, I'm sure that the Rosella will make a great pet. (I got mine from a pet store, but at least they were taking good care of the birds)
Aurora and I
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green Rosella

Next

Return to Parrot Species