Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New african gray

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

New african gray

Postby jsholiman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:15 am

We just bought an African Gray yesterday. He seems to adore my husband, but doesn't let me touch him. I know he will need time to get used to us, but I don't want to let him control me too long either. How do I start gaining his trust and love. He seems to be getting comfortable already. He is chattering and whistling. He is 3-4 years old we think, but has not had enough attention at his previous home. :gray:
jsholiman
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: african grey, quaker parrot, green cheeked conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New african gray

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 am

Spend time with him at or around his cage. Not more than the amount of time you are willing to spend every day for the rest of your life with him though. Start getting him out of the cage more. Take it slow but don't allow the bird to overbond to your husband immediately. If he is accepted by the bird, have him spend less time with it and you more so that your bond can catch up. It's better to even out the playing field early on then end up with a "one person bird."

Finally, if you haven't already, teach the parrot to step up and practice step ups on a daily basis to maintain tameness and control. Here is a guide I wrote about how to teach step up in several easy steps.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species