Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Postby pfinarffle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 am

We have a nearly 19 year-old Senegal that we adopted a few years ago. Every now and then I too yearn for another member of our flock. However, the reason we ended up with this guy is that his prior foster owner was desperate to get rid of him when he went over to her lovebirds' cage and tried biting their feet off through the bars! So I would never risk bringing another animal into our household. Heed the warnings of those with Sennie experience! But if you are dead set in your ways, perhaps a good compromise would be fostering another bird to see how the two of them might get along as adults. Worst case scenario there's aggression and the foster bird can find a forever home elsewhere.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby ginger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 pm

You should consider the advice of pfinarffle. I couldn't have said it better myself.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 am

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby cml » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am

senegalparrotowner wrote:This isn't a good forum tbh people are far too opinionated. I'm merely doing research and everyone is so KEEN to shove their views down my throat. I'm not an idiot and I love my parrot more than you will ever know.

This sort of comment is totally unnecessary, people here only try to help.

I always try to advocate that instead of merely saying something like: "parrots arent for you", that all of us instead try to help newer members come to an understanding of their own what parrots might suit them or not. This goes for all problems really.

If you join a forum and participate you must be willing to join DISCUSSIONS, because that is what forums are about. Nobody here can help someone with pre-determined ideas and who refuses to take the advice of others.

I would rather that you stick around and participate in the forums, helping yourself and possibly other people as well :) .

Noone gain anything by this ridiculous attitude Ive seen lately, like this comment or someone saying not to put in that talking capabilities are preferred because that will cause the forum to jump on you. Why contribute further to make the atmosphere hostile and unwelcome? Instead, try to make things better!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby ginger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 pm

CML...be careful or you may receive a juvenile, hateful PM from this guy. I did. He obviously feels he knows everything. If he was really serious about seeking helpful input then he would do so, but obviously that isn't the case. I'm sure he'll be happy to know that I won't be adding any additional comments on this thread. I have better things to do than waste my time with somebody that is only looking for an argument. I feel sorry for his Senegal.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby Nir » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:36 pm

senegalparrotowner wrote:
Grey_Moon wrote:
I would not get a snake, because you are risking either stress or aggression on the part of the snake from the scent of the parrot. A parrot will also be very stressed by the sight of a snake, even if secured in a cage. Of course...if the snake ever gets loose...

Thanks for the parrot input, very appreciated.

The snake input, I'm sorry, but it's totally inaccurate. I've had numerous snakes for the past 10 years. longer than I've had the senegal and no problems have arisen. They are in totally different parts of the house, the snakes are in one secure room. And if ever our parrot sees one of the snakes whilst they are being handled or free roaming, then he is always really curious and tries to get near them. We don't allow them to be in any close proximity of course so please no one lecture me on this, you guys are so quick to jump down people's throats after half reading their comments. This isn't a good forum tbh people are far too opinionated. I'm merely doing research and everyone is so KEEN to shove their views down my throat. I'm not an idiot and I love my parrot more than you will ever know. I'm never going to do anything to jeopardize his safety or happiness, surely that is a given? I appreciate that you are all giving me advice and trying to prevent a disaster from occurring but godalmighty have I once exuded any sort of scary ignorance about animal care? I am merely asking for people's experience. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not as if I'm that dumbass that has bought 3 parrots and is now really annoyed that they don't get on. Catch a grip people

I am also a new member and i had similar feelings where i feel attacked. I have not read this thread much but i feel like people should not be so quick to judge someone. I understand everyone trying to look out for the parrots care but i would assume that most people in the forum even if they are new are not complete irresponsible dumbasses who don't give a shit about parrots or pets. They are researching BECAUSE they are responsible and want to learn as much about them as possible and best way of doing that is answering the questions that are asked.. Its totally fine if people want to give their opinions about things they think the op might be doing wrong or if they think the parrots might be in jeopardy but at least answer the questions that are asked as well. I am not a little irresponsible 5 year old.

with that said, Some people HAVE been very helpful who arent so fast to judge someone right of the bat. Like i always say, i rather have a responsible person who is searching for information in forums and other places own a bird then irresponsible people who do know research prior to getting one.

ps: cml: i was the one who said not to put talking abilities as a preference. I do this because of my experience where i did post that i prefer the bird to have talking abilities as a bonus and everyone jumped on my throat for it saying parrots arent for me. You might be a good poster who tries to educate people but there are many who are just going to judge you thinking that if your parrot doesnt talk you will just abandon it which definitely isnt the case. thats the only reason i told the guy to take the parrot speaking part out because if he did, people wouldnt be so judgemental and he would get his questions better answered.
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 am

Tbh I think it is much better to give examples of the worst case scenarios as it will allow people to take the risk much more seriously.
If the person asking the question then feels they are able to deal with a situation whilst minimizing the risk, then that is up to them.
Keeping a snake or cat with a bird is ALOT more dangerous and risky than keeping the majority of other animals along side a bird. I don't think anyone on the forums is saying OMG do not do it cuz it is so dangerous. More saying OMG that is so dangerous, which it IS, so then people can work around it if they feel they have what is needed to proceed.

I've been around and worked with animals for alot of my working life. You would be shocked at the number of ignorant, uneducated owners there are out there that will just not listen to any way but their own. The majority who will be taught only tend to listen if raw, hard home truths are issued. Sometimes the shock tactics are needed for the benefit of the animals.

Tbh I have had at least 1 reply that has upset me but I know that reply had my birds welfare at heart and he didn't know the full situation. The reply I recieved made me feel like a rubbish person to start with but looking at the bigger picture I knew it was correct but it was something that was out of control because of my circumstances. I can understand the initial sting but why take offence if you have nothing to take offence at and you are here to learn??

No matter how long you have been keeping birds there is always a lot more to learn.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:43 am

This has turned into a nasty thread and Dorp isn't even in it.

Some of the longer term members have so much knowledge that it would be a shame for them to not share with the Newbys. We have some young short term members who have done a massive amount of research that we need to learn from them. Though my birds have had me for many years now, and taught me a lot, I learn from the knowledge of others.

These people have a tight bond with their kids (birds) and make adjustments to their lives for each individual personality. I, myself, have two Amazons of different personalities that I care for differently due to that.

You cannot fault a parrot owner for being concerned about your parrot too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species