Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 am

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Postby terri » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 am

senegalparrotowner wrote:There is concern and that's one thing and genuinely appreciated. And then there is ignorance and an aura of "I know better, you know nothing" which is given off by a few users here. Personally, I know my care is really good. I am not here to ask for you opinion on snakes etc I was just asking about the possibility of another parrot. I will not be returning to this forum, it's a joke. A lot of good users on here but most are not helpful, just very annoyingly opinionated and very forceful of their views. I was just asking for experience and just look at the hate generated by some responses. Utterly unnecessary.

I don't in any way think you can comment on keeping snakes and parrots together as you clearly have no experience with snakes. They stay in their tanks for 99% of the time and don't even come REMOTELY close to the parrot. They are not even remotely close and nor should their presence in the house be any concern of yours. It's actually ridiculous that you think they are "dangerous to keep around parrots" as if they co exist in one habitat. Catch a grip guys, they are in their own tanks on the other side of the house. They don't free roam and are not in danger of running into the bird. Ignorance on this subject and some users go on to express their opinions? It's like your English teacher trying to teach you French.

Ok we get it ! See Ya
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm

My son has Ball Pithons. He was moving and did not have the electric on in his new house so he could not move his snakes in right away.

My bedroom is the only room in the house the did not have a draft from critters running through even though they all had access. I had 50 in my room. They were in habitat bins. Each had his own except for breeding. He has a few that pop their heads up when their bins are opened but most just balled up in the corner. Snakes are not social and I am surprised that he has a few that are.

None of my pets seemed concerned that they were there not even Rambo. They are not free roaming and had no interaction with the others.
liz
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby terri » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:28 pm

liz wrote:My son has Ball Pithons. He was moving and did not have the electric on in his new house so he could not move his snakes in right away.

My bedroom is the only room in the house the did not have a draft from critters running through even though they all had access. I had 50 in my room. They were in habitat bins. Each had his own except for breeding. He has a few that pop their heads up when their bins are opened but most just balled up in the corner. Snakes are not social and I am surprised that he has a few that are.

None of my pets seemed concerned that they were there not even Rambo. They are not free roaming and had no interaction with the others.

Holy snakes :D
terri
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby marie83 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Well I've never had a snake as a pet but I do work with them at a place I volunteer at so I know a fair bit.
If they are kept in another room and don't get out of their tanks much then that is a fair point but there is always the risk of escape whether it through ignorance or an accidental mistake.
It may not have been you, I don't have time to read back atm but someone did at some point. As I said before its up to the prospective owner but its better they are aware incase there are issues they hadn't though of, then they can plan better.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby parrotsareyay » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 pm

The problem with snakes are their houdini skills. I have to admit, i am actually a little entranced by their abilities to get out of ANY cage. My friend has a baby constricter and they have about three plus locks on the tank and it still manages to get out and hide somewhere in the house.

Though i think it is still awesome how they use their brains and confound us :D
parrotsareyay
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby pchela » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Well, here's my experience. My first bird was a Senegal and he is a bully. He attacked and bullied my Jardine's so much that finding him a new home was the best option and he has now moved on to bullying my Timneh. But - I also have a male Red Belly who he gets along with. They groom each other and feed each other etc. The Red Belly was 8 years old when he came to me and the Senegal was about 3. It probably took 6 months or more for my Senegal to accept the Red Belly but now they're buds. I've had several fosters come through and the Red Belly is the only bird that my Senegal has accepted. Why? I don't know. I assumed that it was because they look so similar to each other but I could be totally wrong. So, you could get lucky and get a bird your Senegal likes but more likely, your Senegal will resent any newcomer and bully them mercilessly. There's just no way to know without trying unfortunately. If only there were a way to borrow a parrot... :D

I also have a cat. She is 11 years old and very docile. She's always been an indoor cat and has always allowed us to do whatever we want with her - rub her belly, hold her upside down etc. She used to bring in the odd praying mantis or grasshopper from the balcony but being an indoor cat, not much opportunity for her to hunt. She is mostly scared of the birds. If she is on my lap and my Senegal is out, he will run over and bite her tail to get her off of me. That said, if I am home alone and the parrots are out, she is put in the bedroom. The birds and cat are never left alone together and we have to take a lot of precautions. We had a kitten for a while who did want to chase the birds and was not scared of them. She went to live with my parents - we just couldn't risk it. So, again, it kind of depends on the cat. I have read statistics saying that more birds are killed by dogs than cats but I don't know if that's actually true.

So, those are my experiences. Hope it's helpful. If you do add another parrot, just be prepared to have to keep them separate if the worse case scenario happens. According to my experience, a parrot that looks like your Senegal - either another male Senegal or a male Red Belly, would be best but that has no basis in any kind of research other than my own isolated experience.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to Parrot Species