Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why do Poicephalus get rehomed?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Why do Poicephalus get rehomed?

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am

I can understand (even though it's still wrong and their fault) people rehoming a conure or cockatoo cause they just can't handle the noise. But a Senegal parrot!? Cmon, what good reason could people have for rehoming these awesome little birds? :senegal:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Why do Poicephalus get rehomed?

Postby Kathleen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:37 am

There are some reasons people would rehome a parrot even though they might not necessarily want to. If they have to move into a place where pets aren't allowed, if their owner dies, if they have a new child and no time for the parrot, etc...
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Well 2 of those 3 are avoidable and demonstrate a choice/priority set by the owner. Except financial ruin (in which case they just couldn't pay to keep their parrot healthy) I am having trouble thinking of any good reason to rehome a parrot, yet it happens all the time. The owner based reasons are probably the same across most species (got bored of it, wants different pet, doesn't want a pet anymore, wants to focus on kids instead, etc). But what are species specific reasons people could possibly want to get rid of them?? Some people get rid of cockatoos/greys for being too noisy or feather picking. Senegals don't seem to be particularly problematic. Why get rid of them?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 pm

One of the reasons I've heard the most about why a Senegal would be rehomed?

"My bird only likes me and bites and attacks everyone else, including my spouse, so I have to rehome him/her".

Senegals do have a bad reputation for being one-person birds.
Do I believe it? Not in the slight bit.
What I DO believe in is people who don't bother socializing their birds properly (it's so nice to have a bird that loves me and comes to me every time! (heard that one at all? I have!) and then this happens.
Shade is the perfect example that proper socialization will yield a perfectly well-rounded bird who will not show aggressive behaviours towards anyone but it's chosen person.

Pois aren't as available in rescues or being re-homed as other types of birds (such as Quakers, Cockatoos, Conures, etc) who end up there because of screaming or biting. But if they are, I'm willing to bet most of the time it's probably because of this exclusiveness they might have.
Of course, you then have the people who don't want a bird anymore, people who want to get a bigger bird instead, people who need money and think selling the bird will provide some fast cash, people who will be having kids and therefor the bird has to go and finally, the people who have a very valid and unfortunate reason to have to re-home it although it's the last thing they would like to do.

Petey was in the rescue because of her aggression behaviours towards women.
I'm sure that there is some women(s) in her past that screwed her up...this is beyond a preference for one person and this person happening to be a men; she will attack ANY women when she's comfortable enough around them (i.e. has spend a month or so somewhere).
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Natacha wrote:people who want to get a bigger bird instead

This has got to be the stupidest reason for rehoming a bird. If someone would treat their smaller bird this way, why should they need or want a bigger bird. Poor bigger bird may be gotten rid of too at some point to make way for an even bigger one?

I guess intra-family/friends rehomings may be ok if the bird isn't terribly bonded to a particular person and well socialized and going into good hands. But to put a bird up for adoption to get a bigger one is just ridiculous. I actually encountered this once and talked this kid out of doing it. He couldn't get his parrotlet to do tricks (because he was an impatient and lousy teacher) so he wanted to get rid of it and get a sun conure instead because he heard they do tricks. I lost all respect at that point but I showed him my budgie training videos to help with tricks to try to prevent him from rehoming because that would end up being two birds having to get rehomed!
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Michael wrote:This has got to be the stupidest reason for rehoming a bird. If someone would treat their smaller bird this way, why should they need or want a bigger bird. Poor bigger bird may be gotten rid of too at some point to make way for an even bigger one?

Yet it happens much more often than you think.

In the same line, there are people who get a second (bigger) bird and then the two birds get along and the older (smaller) bird gets the boot.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:09 pm

But I don't understand why those kinds of people would even want a parrot in the first place or a so called upgrade?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Not everyone has the same attachment to their pets.
I couldn't trade anyone of them for something "bigger", or any other bird for that matter, regardless of size.

Some people go through pets (and not just birds) like there is no tomorrow...when they get tired of it or realize there are more responsibilities attached to owning one, they dispose of it and then get something else..and this cycle can go on and on.

I know I am more emotionally attached to my pets than one of my friends is to hers; she does keep them and doesn't exchange for something else, but there isn't the same type of care that goes into it. For her, pets are just that, pets. An animal you take care of and sometime providing housing and acceptable food is enough. Not every pet owner goes for the best possible care out there...and some go overboard as well.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I love my flock. It's sad that someone could "trade" or get rid of their birds!
After having birds I'd choose them over my dog if I had too!
I love my dog but if I had to choose it would be the birds.

:senegal:
:gray:
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Mona » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Michael:

I have a problem rehoming myself, but three of my birds are rehomes. Two are Senegals.

Jack's rehoming story: As I understand it, his initial owners didn't let him out of his cage much and they felt guilty about that so they were going to give him to a sanctuary. (Bad decision. Jack is a people bird and in no way is he a sanctuary bird). A friend of mine met his owners at the time and the owners gave him away My friend has over 20 Moloccan cockatoos and a relationship with the sanctuary. After Bailey was attacked by one of my friend's M2's, I went to get Bailey, saw Jack and decided the same thing could happen to Jack so I took him as well.

Bailey's story: Bailey was owned by a co-worker's roommate. The roommate just had no interest in Bailey and my co-worker ended up having to do all of the care, and just didn't like birds. He rehomed Bailey to my friend with the M2's....(I wasn't supposed to have any more than three birds and at the time, I had my three so I couldn't take Bailey). Well, when an M2 attacked Bailey, my friend called and asked me to come get him.....By that time, my cockatiel had passed away so I could have another bird...(It wasn't supposed to be two more)....but I couldn't leave Jack and these things happen.

Kiri's Story: Kiri is a grey but she has had one caretaker for 16 years and very good care. Her caretaker is an older lady (and a friend). She was in the hospital and her husband had pancreatic cancer she called me and asked if I would take Kiri. I was in the will for Kiri, and even though her caretaker did not pass away, it was too emotional for her so she decided it was time to pass Kiri on so that the bird would get more attention and care. Kiri is a gem, by the way and fits in very well with my flock....but NO MORE BIRDS for our household. Five is really too many but what can you do? I can't rehome them emotionally.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey