Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why do Poicephalus get rehomed?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Why do Poicephalus get rehomed?

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Three of mine are also rehomes.

Joey: His former owner had to rehome him. Won't go into details, but it really wasn't an easy decision, actually, the decision was made for him by someone else. I honestly hope to NEVER be in that situation. I actually didn't think Joey would still be available because the add I saw for him was so old, but his former owner really wanted to find him the best possible home and I'm flattered he thought I would be it.

Petey: Aggression issues are her downfall. Not sure why they are there though. All I know is that one of her owners brought her in a pet store for a wing/nail clip and he told the clerk who was handling her to keep her because she bit too much and walked out...the clerk did keep her for a while but then Petey started attacking his new significant other and he chose to find her a better home. She ended up in the rescue ran by some of my friends and then ended up with me.

Zuri: Former owner died of cancer. Pretty sure he did not know he had it when he got her but probably got diagnosed not too long after getting her. Also ended up in the same rescue as Petey.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Mona » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Well...I just got this email yesterday...I wish I could take another Senegal (especially a hen) but cannot:

This is Tara, we spoke over the holiday weekend about my Senegal Parrot that is
in need of a new home. Basically, we have a new borne baby in the house and my
husband insists that the bird goes. If you could assist us in finding a loving
home for her that would be wonderful.

Name: Love
Type: Female, African Senegal
History: I purchased Love when she was a baby, she has only had one owner. We
keep her wings clipped. She is very healthy and happy, she has never needed any
medical attention. She has never been used for breeding.

She comes with a medium size cage, bird food and toys. She also has a small
cage, for which she enjoys spending hot summer days on the porch outside. Love
enjoys carrots, peas, red grapes, apples, and bananas. She loves to snuggle,
give kisses, and literally laugh at movies and jokes. She can say "Hi," and
"Hello Love." She also likes to mimic whistles. She can bite rarely, however
it's easy to win her over with a soft voice and a little attention and
affection.

I just want a loving new home for her, I know she will make someone as happy as
she has made me. I am willing to deliver her, or meet half way anywhere in
Western Washington.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 pm

What's an African Senegal? I thought all Senegals are African...
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 am

They are. It's just another term for them. I've heard them called that before too.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Heather » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:27 pm

After volunteering with a number of rescues over the years (for various species), I've heard every story in the book. One of my family's ferrets was going to be given up or euthanized because he had diarrhea. I mean come on...

But, there are those people that give up their birds for a 'valid' reason. Things happen, people get older. It's fairly common for senior citizens that can no longer care for their avian companions to give them up, though it may not be an easy decision. After say...thirty years of excellent care, sometimes the older person simply cannot physically do it anymore.

Unfortunately, the ridiculous reasons far outweigh the valid ones >.<. I could never give up Jasper.
“She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you'd call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.”
Heather
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Canary
Budgerigars

Postby Cozzy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Natacha wrote:
Michael wrote:This has got to be the stupidest reason for rehoming a bird. If someone would treat their smaller bird this way, why should they need or want a bigger bird. Poor bigger bird may be gotten rid of too at some point to make way for an even bigger one?

Yet it happens much more often than you think.

In the same line, there are people who get a second (bigger) bird and then the two birds get along and the older (smaller) bird gets the boot.

I reckon most people did that have a strong believe in the bigger the bird, the smarter the bird. However, it is not always the case.
:senegal: is a really smart bird, :caique: is a smart bird too. Even :budgie: and :lovebird: are perfect pet.

I would like to add a :macaw: in my bird list later on, however, I won't let go my :senegal: and :budgie:
Cozzy
Conure

Budgie
cape

Postby Kathleen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 pm

It's very true that people underestimate the capability of smaller birds. :?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Cozzy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:43 pm

I think your :senegal: is so great, I just started to train my :senegal: .

Actaully, I got him as my first bird 2 months ago, pretty hand tame..... :D

but i think :senegal: is a really smart kind of bird.
Cozzy
Conure

Budgie
cape

Postby goffin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:06 am

I unfortunately had to rehome a :senegal: about 15 years ago. I got one just when married. I had a :cockatoo: while growing up and thought I could handle it when I got out and married. After we had two kids and I moved from service into management things became tough. I had to put in 60 + hour work weeks. I did not have the time for my :senegal: . My wife was looking after two kids and did not have the time to look after the bird as well - she also was having some health concerns.

The best thing for the bird at the time was to find him a new home. Was it my first choice - no. He was heavily bonded to me and was becoming frustrated and angry at my absence. Started becoming aggressive to other people - my wife included. I had to focus my attention on my wife, her health and my kids.

We looked hard to find the right person and the right situation for him to go.

Now I am in sales - spend much more time at home - so decided it was time for another parrot. After months of looking we fell in love with this Goffin - who needed a new home. I don't see situations changing for the next 20 years or so but I don't know what is around the next bend.

Although I really like birds - their companionship and antics I believe my family must come first.
goffin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo

Postby Ginks » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:26 am

you are going to hate me, but I need to rehome my senegal parrot :( (i hate myself already, no need to...)
We got him from another owner (he was around 1-2 years old, originally from a pet store), and have been taking care of him for the past 4 years. He had some behaviour problems which we were able to work through, but as the time went by he started to be more and more aggressive towards my husband. Initially it started as a scream, and now anytime he can just fly by him and bite him very strong (thus we had to decrease his out-of-cage time).
We did work with him, nothing helps (unfortunately). I love him sooooo much, but he becomes more and more dangerous to my spouse (no threats to me though). I can not carry him on my shoulder anymore, as he can fly off and bite.
I posted an add for re-homing, and there are few people who are interested. Could you please suggest how to look for a right person? Ideally I would love to keep in touch with a new owner, help and visit from time to time (maybe do a bird sitting if needed), etc. do you think it would be possible?

thanks for helpful suggestions and advises
don't judge too much, it is really really really hard already... :(
he is more than a pet, but I can't keep him .... :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ginks
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species