Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal-Kiwi

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Senegal-Kiwi

Postby Cinski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Ceasar's head doesn't fit at all between the bars and we spaced all of his perches and toys in a way that he can reach them, also, he loves to climb around on the bars of the cage so it's not a problem for him. The macaw cage is big but the spacing of the bars is safe. I would never put Kiwi in there though.

Ceasar's old cage is actually the same size as Kiwi's. I wasn't planning on changing cages with her, at least not for a while. The only difference between her cage and Ceasar's old cage is that the roof of hers has a slope and Ceasars is box shaped. If I moved her she would really only get a few more square inches of space in the top.
Cinski
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, (other birds in household, African Grey, lovebird, cockatiel)
Flight: No

Postby Cinski » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Ok, so my bird hates me. Nothing I do seems to change that. Over time she actually dislikes me more. She loves my husband tho. Completely. Any time I try to handle her she bites me...hard. Last night she bit me so hard on my finger that there is bruising under my fingernail and a hole on the other side.

So maybe birds aren't my thing? I haven't met one yet that likes me so maybe I'm more of a dog person. I've never met a dog that didn't like me. Cat's aren't too fond of me either except maybe one or two that I've met.

Anyway, my husband is going to take it from here with Kiwi. I still love her very much but if she doesn't like me there isn't much I can do about it and to be honest I'm tired of getting bitten. It hurts when she does it. It's never a gentle bite with her, it's always like she's trying to hit bone. I'll continue to socialize with her (by talking to her) and I'll continue to take care of her of course, but I'll leave all of the handling to my husband.

Thanks for all your help and advise.
Cinski
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, (other birds in household, African Grey, lovebird, cockatiel)
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:07 pm

I think your biggest inhibitor was not your lack of capability but rather your husband's overwhelming parrot handling aptitude which made your husband disproportionately favorable to the parrot than you. When I got my parrot, I knew relatively little and had never even held a bird before but we grew our relationship together. As I would get more comfortable with her, she got more comfortable with me. However, in your case your husband was far ahead of you and instead of helping you catch up, he inadvertently biased the bird in his favor.

You can try to work on some hands off things with your parrot. Try teaching a trick that requires no physical contact. For instance you upon teaching target training, you can teach the parrot to turn around:

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't think your bird hates you. I don't think birds are even capable of hatred. :(

It's kind of a shame that you don't want to keep trying because you will be doing all the work to care for the bird, but missing out on all the fun part.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Species