Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone here owned a Senegal AND a african grey?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Anyone here owned a Senegal AND a african grey?

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Nir wrote:its more that i hate what i am hearing but i understand that it is true since they have 10x more experience then me. So thats why i am not going to get a parrot. trust me i HATE it and it saddens me greatly but i think i would be very irresponsible if i do get one after everything i read.

Have you ever been bit by a Senegal or anything larger?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Nir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Michael wrote:
Nir wrote:its more that i hate what i am hearing but i understand that it is true since they have 10x more experience then me. So thats why i am not going to get a parrot. trust me i HATE it and it saddens me greatly but i think i would be very irresponsible if i do get one after everything i read.

Have you ever been bit by a Senegal or anything larger?

nope :(.
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Nir wrote:
Michael wrote:Have you ever been bit by a Senegal or anything larger?

Perhaps you should. Knowing how it feels, how it affects you, how tolerant you are, etc may do you a lot of good at least on the personal biting front. Of course how it would apply toward other animals or people is a whole other issue. But I'd say the most significant is the owner biting. If you can't handle the biting, then you are guaranteed to fail when it comes to biting others. You have to be able to manage it yourself first before socializing toward others. Going to some less than perfect bird stores and possibly getting a few bites from different species may help you understand a little more about this.

The fact is, if you're not afraid of a Senegal Parrot's bite, it usually won't bite. It may test you from time to time but since it really doesn't bother you, nothing ever comes of it. However, if you're afraid, they will sense and take advantage of that. You won't be able to handle yourself right if you're scared of the bird before you even get started. Not sure how much this factor is but you said biting owner was a substantial issue for you. To me it seems that the people who worry less about biting are the ones who manage to overcome it more easily than the ones who are terrified, give up too easily, are shaky, and get manipulated by the bird.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=293#p1403
Michael
Macaw

Postby Nir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:53 pm

Michael wrote:
Nir wrote:
Michael wrote:Have you ever been bit by a Senegal or anything larger?

Perhaps you should. Knowing how it feels, how it affects you, how tolerant you are, etc may do you a lot of good at least on the personal biting front. Of course how it would apply toward other animals or people is a whole other issue. But I'd say the most significant is the owner biting.

Well my thinking is that if so many others can take it then why cant i. Also everyday in the gym i take plenty of pain as well so i think i am well accustomed to taking a beating. However my main concern honestly isnt really for me but for everyone around me. it would suck if i bought my niece over and then she got bit... I might be able to handle a bite but little kids might seriously injure themselves.

also i dont remember saying that biting owner was a substantial issue for me. Biting everyday is however. But once in awhile would be fine. Also like i said i am more worried about those around me then myself. I strongly believe that i would be able to handle the bites fine myself. i cant say the same about my weakling gf or my roomates or if my family comes to visit.
Nir
Poicephalus

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:58 pm

In some regards it is nice to know that I have been bitten probably as hard as my Senegal as capable. It was very jarring and surprising but now I know how bad it is. Honestly pretty awful (the pinch of the beak seems to have a peculiar nerve pinching effect), however, it is tolerable. I have a bit of lovely scar tissue, but my hands did heal. She seems to realize that I appear to not be phased and therefore, she can't intimidate me with it.

Now she does bluff bites and pinching bites out of annoyance, bit me on the cheek out of fear, when the blinds touched her tail and she was on my shoulder, and she has bitten me trying to flap to me. None of the bites I just detailed were to really hurt me. No blood was drawn, they were just a variety of emotions/actions. All in all, once you prove you don't care they just stop doing angry, vicious, blood drawing bites. So, although I was rattled and questioned myself for getting a parrot, I got over it. ESPECIALLY, because she stopped as soon as I proved I was brave enough to handle her.

I have no idea if this is common, but from what I've read in Michael's comments, training, etc, it is.
Last edited by Eurycerus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Nir wrote:Well my thinking is that if so many others can take it then why cant i. Also everyday in the gym i take plenty of pain as well so i think i am well accustomed to taking a beating. However my main concern honestly isnt really for me but for everyone around me. it would suck if i bought my niece over and then she got bit... I might be able to handle a bite but little kids might seriously injure themselves.

also i dont remember saying that biting owner was a substantial issue for me. Biting everyday is however. But once in awhile would be fine. Also like i said i am more worried about those around me then myself. I strongly believe that i would be able to handle the bites fine myself. i cant say the same about my weakling gf or my roomates or if my family comes to visit.

My mom and boyfriend got bit pretty badly, so you need to be careful. My boyfriend's not a weakling and neither is my mom but my Senegal is definitely not on the good list with them anymore. :/ I tried to tell them that I got bit super hard numerous times and I just kept interacting in a friendly manner and she got over it.

I have not let children touch her or handle her at all but they can target her around her cage and give her a treat. I am very cautious about that knowing they might think negatively of parrots for life if they get bit. She has never attacked through bars when treats are involved.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Nir wrote:Well my thinking is that if so many others can take it then why cant i. Also everyday in the gym i take plenty of pain as well so i think i am well accustomed to taking a beating.

Wrong! There are people who can take on a macaw and not a conure or other way around. Kili's biting really bothers my brother whereas to me it's tolerable enough that I don't care. It is a very individualistic thing. Also you can't tell from the internet just how many people CANNOT handle their parrots biting and just leave it caged all the time as a result. Reading will only get you so far, eventually you gotta take it to the field to research.

Nir wrote:However my main concern honestly isnt really for me but for everyone around me. it would suck if i bought my niece over and then she got bit... I might be able to handle a bit but little kids might seriously injure themselves.

This is a valid concern. In this case the question is if she must handle the bird or not. If the answer is no and you suspect the bird would bite, you just keep it out of reach for that span and that's it. Of course with socialization and lots of other things this can usually be overcomed. But if outgoingness is a required trait from the parrot, it's not work chancing it with an old world parrot cause it is far from guaranteed.

Nir wrote:also i dont remember saying that biting owner was a substantial issue for me. Biting everyday is however. But once in awhile would be fine. Also like i said i am more worried about those around me then myself. I strongly believe that i would be able to handle the bites fine myself. i cant say the same about my weakling gf or my roomates or if my family comes to visit.

First of all don't say that until you've tried it. You really have nothing to judge by. You might be great at lifting weights and then cringe at having needles stuck under your fingernails. Like I said, it bothers the hell out of my brother cause he's more sensitive on the hands I guess whereas he wouldn't be scared otherwise.

Again, is it that you need your bird to get along with others or just something that would be nice? Is your concern about the bird intentionally attacking them? Or just being on their hand for a while and bite out of nowhere? Are you trying to impress people with the bird? Or are you just worried for their safety when they are entirely uninvolved?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Eurycerus wrote:My mom and boyfriend got bit pretty badly, so you need to be careful. My boyfriend's not a weakling and neither is my mom but my Senegal is definitely not on the good list with them anymore. :/ I tried to tell them that I got bit super hard numerous times and I just kept interacting in a friendly manner and she got over it.

The Parrot Wizard prescribes a dose of additional training, never clipping wings, and socialization, socialization, socialization to solve your problem. :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Michael wrote:The Parrot Wizard prescribes a dose of additional training, never clipping wings, and socialization, socialization, socialization to solve your problem. :thumbsup:

^_^ I agree whole-heartedly.

Her wings are growing out currently (in spite of the lady who trimmed her nails getting all huffy with me). I do daily trainings however I can't socialize her when there's no one to socialize her with!

I take her to my hometown and she's surrounded by people and acts quite charming and pleased to be the center of attention. My mom was pretty excited about her and handled her the first time no problem except a moment of fear biting. The next time she got up easily and then bit her nice and hard. I unfortunately didn't witness the incident but I need some parrot people who I can bribe with food to socialize her! :]
Eurycerus
Amazon

Postby Nir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Well it's not lifting I do but mma. So i do a lot of boxing and grappling and sparring. But still point well taken. I honestly won't know until I got bit. And that's possible without actually owning a parrot. All I can go by is that i always have cared a lot about birds and i would do my best to get used to the bites and continue working on conditioning him to not bite so much.

I am just worried that my niece or other family members might try to touch it or want to touch it and in the process get bitten. I don't care about showing him of or anything. But in the future when I have a family and kids, I think it would be a neccessity that he gets along with everyone to a degree. I would obviously train him but what if something goes wrong? How serious would it be? Just all questions I can't answer since I don't own a parrot.
Nir
Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species