Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker nervous problem?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Quaker nervous problem?

Postby Cinski » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 am

Yesterday when I bought my Senegal there was also a quaker parrot and originally I wanted to get a quaker because of the size but this particular one was odd. The store owner said that it was only a year old, it's cage was near the floor and it sat at the back of the cage shaking constantly, sometimes violently when anyone was near it and making a strange vibrating/growling sound. The poor thing looked like he was scared to death or maybe has a serious nervous problem. Has anyone heard of this or seen it in birds? I felt so sorry for the poor guy and felt that it was probably his surroundings that caused it but I don't have nearly enough experience to try to help a bird in that condition.
Cinski
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, (other birds in household, African Grey, lovebird, cockatiel)
Flight: No

Re: Quaker nervous problem?

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

I think people call them Quaker parrots cause they "quake" like that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Cinski » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

That's interesting. I don't feel as sorry for it then. I know that my husband's African Grey tends to "shiver" sometimes when he's sitting on his perch in his cage so maybe that's the quaker's way of "shivering"?
Cinski
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, (other birds in household, African Grey, lovebird, cockatiel)

Postby pchela » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Baby quakers absolutely shake and tremble a lot when they are babies... I don't know why but they all do it. A year seems a little old for that though. They usually outgrow it... they'll still quake some but not nearly as much as what you are describing unless they are very young.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Cinski » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 am

Well, the age I was told could be wrong. Every time I asked an age of a bird the woman seemed to be guesstimating the ages.
Cinski
Parrotlet

Postby sophisity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 pm

:quaker: i have a quaker and he does that sounds when he is upset/frustrated. he is about 8 months . About the shaking part? I have no clue. I would agree with you about nervous issue with that one in the pet store. lf i had to guess I would say emotional caused behavior or maybe the parrot has been exposed to a lot of smoke or some other major health issue. if you have time to make a clip of it..i might be able to have a better idea. Hope this helped a little.
sophisity
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrot

Return to Parrot Species