Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgie vs. lovebird?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Budgie vs. lovebird?

Postby plavi_andeo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Whish is better for a pet as single bird? Please who have experience :thumbsup:
plavi_andeo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: Budgie vs. lovebird?

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Budgies and lovebirds are very similar. They require almost the same cage size, toy size, perch size, and other accessories are practically if not exactly the same.

Budgies are obviously more widely available and much less expensive than lovebirds are. Both come in many different colors and can be very enjoyable when kept as a single bird.

Lovebirds have the reputation of being aggressive and Budgies are also capable of being aggressive, but I'm very sure aggressive tendencies can be tamed and trained out of both Budgies and Lovebirds with the proper techniques.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Cozzy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:00 am

For a single bird both would be good.
when you keep lovebird in pair, they tend to play with each other but not you.
Both budige and lovebird can be hand tame, but the bite of budige is a bit softer than lovebird, so this make budige a better frist timer bird.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby budgiebuddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:49 am

I will have to agree with cozy. A parakeet is a good starter. Also with love birds the more you have the more noise you have t deal with. Budgies will make noise when together but not as much as lovebirds. Oher than that they are pretty much the same, But as cozy said lovebirds bites are a little more painful.
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby miajag » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm

In my experience lovebirds make noise a lot less often than budgies, but when they do it's louder. That "PEEP!" call they do can get really annoying really quickly. Budgies chirp and whistle a lot but it's not very loud unless you have a decent-sized flock of them.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby budgiebuddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Yea that is what I meant. Love birds can get more annoying at times.
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby penelope's person » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 am

I would say lovebirds are quite a bit louder. Mine is noisy most of the day, beginning at 7am and going till 8pm, with a short break in the afternoon.

Their bites do hurt, but the nips aren't too bad, you get used to them after a while, and they definitely win in the 'spunk' category!

They are smart too. If my lovebird is at the window, she can spot the cats in the yard much much faster than we can!

I don't know much about budgies, but the ones my aunt has had have always been quite docile and sweet...
penelope's person
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebird (Seagreen Mutation)
Flight: No

Postby fun-toos » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 am

Budgies are more playful. And they CAN learn to talk. You just have to listen closely. Lovebirds rarely talk, are more aggressive, and have an annoying chirp. Budgies like to chatter and can pick up whistles too. I have had budgies since I was 6 yrs old and think they are great!
fun-toos
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: greys, keets, cockatoos, timnehs

Postby Karaleann92 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

Not all lovebirds are loud.
Mine doesn't make a noise, until you go to take him out of his cage.
Then he'll start making these soft, adorable squeaky sounds, kind of like how a cat purrs when they're happy. It is not loud at all.

I know all birds are different, and have different personalities, but mine is very playful. He doesn't play with his toys, but he likes to play with me.

His flight feathers were trimmed right before i got him, but he still flies from his cage to me. Within a day he learned to fly to my hand. He loves snuggling, and playing peek-a-boo in my shirt.
And he doesn't bite at all.

When i was going to see him at the breeders house, she had a female lovebird that was cage aggressive, and i held her, she bit. Hard, but it didn't hurt at all. You just make her step up on your other hand, and repeat a few times and it redirected her attention.

I know i'm a bit biased because i have a wonderful lovie, and i've never had a budgie, but i think you should spend time with birds of both species, because as it was formerly said, every bird is different and wont fit what all the books say. Just find one that has a personality that fits with you.
(: good luck!
Karaleann92
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby alexdwsn12 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:08 am

Lovebirds are only nippy in certain situations, such as when they are breeding or if they weren't tame to begin with. In other words, lovebirds are no more nippier than any other bird when all is the same.I would select the budgie over the lovebird personally. I'm kind of biased when it comes to budgies/parakeets because I've raised them for over 12 years, and I think they are great parrots! However, lovebirds can make very nice pets, too, especially when they have been handfed.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
alexdwsn12
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Next

Return to Parrot Species