Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tone of voice

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Tone of voice

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am

This is an article about dogs and the way we usually talk to them [namely, in a high pitch and a sing-song baby talk kind of thing] which everybody who has had dogs knows it works like a charm with them but I've always wondered if there is something like that with parrots - what do you think?

https://www.zmescience.com/science/how- ... s-1478345/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Tone of voice

Postby Laurie Feldman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:09 am

Our You-You calls for my husband in the evening when it's time for him to come home. He says, "Dove Papi????" and repeats "Papi?????" "Papino????" etc. When we hear the key in the door, the exclamation changes and becomes "Papi!!!!!!". The question mark audibly becomes an exclamation point. One example of his use of tone of voice. :senegal:
Laurie Feldman
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Oh, yes, they do learn that even the same thing, when it said in a different tone of voice, it becomes something different. My birds know the difference between my playful: 'Hey, whachoodooooing?' and my stern: 'What are you DOING?!' VERY well :lol: They also know that if there is a: 'Are you CRAZY?!' after it, they are in big trouble.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations