Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do I train my Senegal to bark?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

How do I train my Senegal to bark?

Postby JaydeParrot » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:29 am

My big sheepdog mix loooooovvvvvees to bark, and I've realised that over the months, both my Senegals have picked up on it and started barking too (admittedly, they sound more like jack russells).

They just bark occasionally in their cage when they feel like it and the more they do it, the better it sounds, I was wondering if anyone knew how/if I could get them to bark on command?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: How do I train my Senegal to bark?

Postby CarlosQuaker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:08 pm

say something like "woof" or "bark" when they start barking. I'm trying this with my Quaker, but he accidentally learned to say woof instead of using it as a cue to bark. Something along those lines should work, and don't forget to give treats too.
Good luck!
Carlos - 23 month old Quaker Parrot :quaker:
CarlosQuaker
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Kai » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah, you should just say 'bark' or any other command when they do(keep saying it and whenthey bark, reward)
It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.
Kai
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Dave & Karen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:15 am

try recording the bark, and when you tell them to bark, playback the recording, this might help speed up associating the command with what you want them to do.

Our cockatiel picked up on me telling him to say "tweet tweet tweet" and "chirp chirp chirp" so now instead of tweeting or chirping, he says the words (our parrotlet also does this), he also whistles the Adams famliy theme song and the Andy Griffith theme song on cue by me asking him to sing, then srarting whisteling the song so he knows which one I want him to whistle and he'll take over where I leave off, but I used a recording to teach him the songs.

Most phones have some kind of recorder app built in so this part's easy, just get your dog to bark and record it, then ask your birds to bark and play the recording for them, once they start to bark on command, it's time to stop playing the recording to see if they'll do it just off command, then reward them when they figure it out.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis