Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Sengal parrot 6 months old vocalization

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

New Sengal parrot 6 months old vocalization

Postby MacT » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Hey everyone,

two years ago i had a wonderful senegal named kiko, i taught him how to wave turn around, and potty trained him in two weeks. then there was a gas leak i think in the basement one day when we weren't home and he died.
finally a month ago i found a new sennie. kiwi, she is 6 months old now and very tame, ive taught her a bunch of tricks and kinda potty trained her, she is a little vocal at time.I was just wondering, specifically for senegals, is there any "good" way of teaching them, or training them to talk?

how did yours start to speak? i don't care too much about speach but it would be awsome.

thanks!

:senegal: - Kiwi!!!!
MacT
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: New Sengal parrot 6 months old vocalization

Postby GreenWing » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:14 am

Aw, sorry about your first sennie - that is devastating. :(

As for Kiwi, well Tiki probably started vocalizing at 6 months... not talking, but making babyish squeak-sounds. I kept encouraging her and repeating words over and over as I handled her; when I'd greet her in the morning, and also at bedtime. While we spent time together, she'd sit on my shoulder, and I'd say, "Tiki, say 'love you.'" And she'd try it, and receive a treat.

Now, at a year and a half, she can say several words and is quite the talker.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby MacT » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks !

kiwi is starting to make squeaky sounds too its really cute lol, i try to always encourage as well. Hopefully i can get her to start making words out clearly, when she gets the first one its only a matter of time.... :thumbsup:

:senegal: - Kiwi
MacT
Parrotlet

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:32 pm

I believe that if you speak to your birds while training, feeding, lounging etc. they will speak more. I got my :senegal: through a rehome at age 8. At this point he only said his name and "banana" (I realized the later as I was eating a banana and he flew right over and landed on the banana and started chewing away). I dont think previous family spent that much time with Oscar thus his vocabulary was limited. Now almost 2 years later he speaks very well from what I have read about sennies. He is also learning new words/phrases continually.
Conversely, some birds just dont speak much and never will from what I understand. So you need to also take into consideration individualism of the particular bird.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Postby MacT » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:22 am

well here 2 months later and Kiwi is from what i see trying to say words like pretty bird and hello, but its more of a mumble.

i think in a few months shell start with first words,, but well just have to see.

thanks btw ! :senegal:
MacT
Parrotlet

Postby MacT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:52 am

KIWI FINALLY TALKED she said pretty bird, and said it extremely clearly a few times.
MacT
Parrotlet

Postby GreenWing » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:54 am

That's awesome, Mac T! Sennies are amazing birds and they have the cutest voices! Good job in working with your sennie!
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations