Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Meyer's Parrot Training Question

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Meyer's Parrot Training Question

Postby maryyy361 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:53 am

I am planning to adopt a 5 year-old Meyer's Parrot within the next few days and I am wondering if I am making a good decision.

The previous owner tells me that the bird, Charlie, can step up and is fairly accustomed to hands. I am concerned because I had originally planned to adopt a parrot under a year old because I wanted to connect with him or her ASAP and have a good start on training the bird.

My question is; will I still be able to bond well with this bird and should Charlie be able to learn new behaviors and words from me even though he was previously in another home for 5 years?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! :D
maryyy361
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Meyer's Parrot Training Question

Postby Wayne361 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

I adopted an 8 year old :senegal: To answer all your questions "Yes" Bonding has been no problem. Tricks he learns quickly (he didnt do any prior). He didnt fly before, now he is flight trained and doing very well. His vocabulary has expanded significantly since I got him. He had a few behavioural issues that have since been dealth with. In a nutshell I would do it again in a heartbeat.

On another thought, you will also be getting a bird that has gone through sexual maturity as well and should be less aggressive (which they can tend to be when they first hit this stage).

You are also buying a bird where another doesnt have to be produced to replace (breeder/petstore) so being arguably more responsible with your purchase.

I personally say go for it. That is if you understand all that parrot ownership entails.

Hope this helps,

'Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations