Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

wont talk when im near

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

wont talk when im near

Postby jilm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:55 pm

my one year old eclectus talks pretty well and says probably 10 different things. but she won't speak to me. She only speaks when she was in another room or at least 15 feet away from me. she always has her back to me. How do I get her to speak to me when she's close by. no one else gets to hear her talk.
jilm
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: eclectus
Flight: No

Re: wont talk when im near

Postby Dave & Karen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:50 pm

A lot of birds do this, they are called closet talkers because they learn and speak several words when they know nobody's watching or when they're in another room but as soon as they realize that they're being watched, they shut up.
You might be able to get her past this shyness by rewarding her when she speaks by giving her a verbal praise as soon as you hear it and then give her a treat. This works by you being just outside the room and out of her sight, then when she says a word, you give her a lot of praise as you wlak into the room and reward her, maybe repeating the word she said a few times in your praise to her.
Our first parrotlet was shy this way but in his evening chatters we would hear words being said so I'd drop what I was doing and offer him praise and reward, but I'd repeat what he said while praising him. After a few days I'd hear a word and just repeat it every time he said it and he'd repeat it back to me. Another thing that got him talking was when we got another bird, he went to the new bird's cage and began saying a bunch of words we didn't even know he could say, but we were able to coax those words out of him once we knew he could say them. It does take some time but she'll begin to talk in front of you.

Right now our IRN has begun saying her name "Baby" and one night last week she was saying it so when I began repeating it to her she started saying it more. Then I started telling her "hi Baby" and to my surprise she repeated it to me. It's still hit and miss with her right now, but she's definitely losing her shyness about saying her name.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis
Flight: Yes

Postby jani123 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 am

A lot of birds do this, they are called closet talkers because they learn and speak several words when they know nobody's watching or when they're in another room but as soon as they realize that they're being watched, they shut up.
80% discount on all leather items for purchasing visit SydneyLeather Quickly limited time offer for start new winter season in Australia.
jani123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: sfasf

Postby Wayne361 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Pretty much what Dave and Karen said. I also rewarded talking when it comes to out of cage time. Screaming got nothing from me, but if he said "hey buddy" "Oscar" "hi buddy" etc I would immediately praise and go to cage and open to get him out. I did this consistantly and now he wont shut up when he wants out of cage hahahaha.
Ive done this with other actions/rewards to put words in context, but in a nut-shell just attempt to reward when you hear vocalization....soon their bird-brains realize that good things happen when they speak....thus enforcing this desired behaviour....

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations