Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

can a 7 yr old sun conure learn to talk?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

can a 7 yr old sun conure learn to talk?

Postby btwolfe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:28 am

Can my 7 yr old sun conure learn to talk?
Attachments
birdie at window.jpg
(9.24 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
btwolfe
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 sun conure
Flight: No

Re: can a 7 yr old sun conure learn to talk?

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:55 pm

They can if THEY want to. If nothing has changed, there would be no reason for the parrot to do something new.

My little Meyer's parrot :meyers: learned to "talk" in stages. I taught her to whistle "Charge" and every time she did, everyone in earshot would shout "Charge". She now croaks something that sounds like the word.

Lately (about six months later) she has been saying-not croaking, saying, "Hello" when I get her out of her cage.

Sunnies in general are considered better talkers than Meyer's in general, but some African Grays and Amazons (best talkers in general) live long lives without ever saying a word. It depends on the bird and the circumstances.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: can a 7 yr old sun conure learn to talk?

Postby Wayne361 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 pm

I got my :senegal: when he was 8. He said a few words but not much. Since I have had him he has picked up quite a bit. Not an amazing talker as compared to most greys and amazons, but point is age didnt play a factor. Change in environment, human interaction, and other variables probably play more of a part. Also as mentioned some birds just dont talk much....no matter what you do.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations