Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Funny things your parrot says

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Funny things your parrot says

Postby Viatrixa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 am

MEOW! MEOW!

I have zero clue where our IRN learned to imitate a kitty. We don't own a cat, and we live on the 7th floor of an apartment building. We don't even watch cat videos that much (save for one or two, who doesn't?) but I find it a total mystery where he learned this from. It sounds REALLY good too, could fool me if I didn't know any better. There IS a cat living in the apartment next to us, but our soundproofing is excellent and I have never heard any noises, let alone those of a cat. Obviously he took it from somewhere, but how? Where? :shock:

I'm slowly beginning to think that parrots are really from another planet and they mock us.
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 am

I love that last sentence. Mine meow because I have cats and they bark because I have dogs. They even growl when they are not happy with something. They have excellent hearing and can pick up from a distance. Be careful what you watch on TV. Myrtle was with me and someone on TV said the word "liar". Myrtle yelled "LIAR". Ever one in the room broke down laughing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 pm

It's entirely possible that although you don't hear the cat next door, he does.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JessiMuse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I heard there are some species that may pick up on words before they're even weaned. I don't know if Indian Ringnecks are one of these species, though.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Well, it only makes sense because they certainly learn their own names from their bird parents while still in the nest.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 pm

:irn: I did get the impression that vocalizations and how parrots do them vary not only on the environment but the bird itself! Just a wild guess here. :P They -do- have personalities and thusly things they do and "say" differ. For example our little green butt goes nuts when he heads loud noises and in turn they make him vocal :P

That having said, I'm still 110% convinced parrots are really from outer space and absolutely make fun us. :mrgreen:
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Postby BeatriceC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 am

MrC is not Goofy's original human. MrC has had him for nearly 20 years, and supposedly he had a large vocabulary when he was younger. These days he mostly mutters things under his breath that sound like they could be words, but not really. He does say one thing clear as day, and that's "Hi, Goofy, Hiiiiiiiii" at top volume whenever he thinks we're not paying enough attention to him, which is mostly when MrC is on the phone or nobody is on that floor of the house (tri-level split...it's a big house, but the birds are on the main floor and between two adults and three teens, there's usually somebody within eyesight of the bird room). The other funny thing he "says" isn't really words at all. I have come to the conclusion that one of his previous humans must have watched a lot of "adult" movies. He does a perfect imitation of the over-the-top sounds produced in those movies. He does this at totally random times. It's really quite embarrassing.

Leopold is new to us as of yesterday. He doesn't have any words that I know of. Today the only sounds he's made are chirping and whistling, mostly in protest of me leaving the room or putting him back in his cage. I've been reading the training threads trying to figure out if I can teach him any words at his age. I adopted him from a man who clearly loved for him, but between work and medical issues, could no longer care for him. The man told me he was about 9 years old. I'm not sure if that's too old.
BeatriceC
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon, Senegal, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby liz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 am

My son started walking at nine months. He did not talk until he was two.

My daughter did not try to walk until she was 13 months. She started talking at 6 months.
Just like my kids birds,

Birds do the same. No two are alike in personality.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:44 pm

You can try, it doesn't matter what age they are as they learn throughout their entire lives. My Senegal didn't even start trying to talk until she was 6 years old.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby BeatriceC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to try with him at the very least.

Also, Goofy seems to have acquired a new word. MrC had him out and asked if he wanted to go back to his cage, as it seemed like that's what he wanted. he said "okay". He said it again a little bit later. I tell Goofy "okay" a lot. When I'm talking to him from outside his cage and I offer him scritches he either lowers his head and I scritch his head or he doesn't and I say "okay" and walk away. We're going to test the theory, but it seems like he might have associated "okay" with "I'm done playing now."
BeatriceC
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon, Senegal, Cockatiel
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations