Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Funny things your parrot says

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Funny things your parrot says

Postby galeriagila » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks for that, Tilly's mom.
I have no idea if the Rickeybird knows what he is or not. There is a huge hall mirror past which we walk a lot. He used to just get very quiet. He used to stare at it but nowadays doesn't seem to notice. One funny thing, though... he never learned to say HELLO RICKEY, although he hears it a lot. HELLO GAIL, yes and just a general HELLO. He'll call "at" me, GAIL, as he did in the video. He seems to have learned almost all of his words from my husband, not me. I've been trying to teach him to say I LOVE YOU for 30 years... nope, nothing!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:23 pm

I have only one parrot that says "I love you": Mami, the old amazon hen. I say it to ALL of them and I have birds that not only have a large vocabulary but who have also learned lots of phrases from me but that is one phrase that only Mami has learned... and, apparently, it's not an easy thing for her to say because she says very clearly: "I love" then there is a bit of a pause and you hear a small 'you' afterward. But, of course, every time she says it (and she says it a lot every single evening), my heart melts!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
Too precious.

My husband jokes that the Rickeybird has trouble making a commitment!

I was reading about famous Alex the Gray once, and the article said he had trouble with his Ss, which was common for parrots. Sure enough, the RB yells 'TOP IT (Stop it). That's the only S-word he says, as far as I recall at the moment.

And of course, he 'says' his whistles (e.g., rit-roo) because he can't do a real one.

Do any of y'all's bird have sounds or letters they can't seem to do?
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby liz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:44 pm

It has been five years that I have been trying to get Myrtle to say "I love you" with no luck.

Rambo says "I love you" when he makes me angry and he knows it.

Ricky bird is smart enough to not say hello to himself.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby galeriagila » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 pm

He surely won't do it!

I have a funny story... I just remembered it. It's from 20 years ago... okay, will start a new thread since it doesn't involve speech...

:mrgreen:
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:48 am

Sweetpea says "Stop it!" and Sophie says "Come here, Soph" perfectly clear so I don't think that all parrots have trouble with the 's' sound.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:35 am

Well, there ya go!

Thanks!

When I first moved up North, and people were getting to know the bird, they got into the habit of not sounding Ss in "solidarity" with the Rickeybird. So we all ran around saying 'Aturday and 'Unday, 'EE you later, do you want a 'Andwich? My brother's girlfriend became 'Amantha.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:40 pm

galeriagila wrote:Thanks for that, Tilly's mom.
I have no idea if the Rickeybird knows what he is or not. There is a huge hall mirror past which we walk a lot. He used to just get very quiet. He used to stare at it but nowadays doesn't seem to notice. One funny thing, though... he never learned to say HELLO RICKEY, although he hears it a lot. HELLO GAIL, yes and just a general HELLO. He'll call "at" me, GAIL, as he did in the video. He seems to have learned almost all of his words from my husband, not me. I've been trying to teach him to say I LOVE YOU for 30 years... nope, nothing!

Gaugan says i love you a lot of times a day, she knows i cant resist that.....lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 am

galeriagila wrote:Well, there ya go!

Thanks!

When I first moved up North, and people were getting to know the bird, they got into the habit of not sounding Ss in "solidarity" with the Rickeybird. So we all ran around saying 'Aturday and 'Unday, 'EE you later, do you want a 'Andwich? My brother's girlfriend became 'Amantha.

:lol: That's like when people have a baby and they use baby talk all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Oh, 'nap!

Very true!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations