Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please help

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Please help

Postby Sky21 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:03 pm

I have owned a blue fronted amazon for the last 3 months, female age 6yrs. She was previously owned by a family and hand tamed by the male in the family. I'm a bird lover, but she preferes my boyfriend to me. I have had a few nasty bites from her but have learned not to pull away. I can now stroke her, feed her and even let her out of the cage but she will only step up and only chats and sings when she hears my boyfriend. The odd time she would say hello to me, but she never gets as excited as when my boyfriend is near. She sings two different tunes and can say, hello, hello pretty birdy, hello dad and hello Claire, this must have been the previous owners wife's name as she wld always refere to me as Claire. How do I teach my bird new songs and new words, I sit with her every day and she is still wary of me touching her, if my boyfriend is around it's no prob but when he is not around I think she feels unhappy.
I really want to make. My bird happy :rainbow: :hatching:

Any advice would really be appreciated :danicing:
Sky21
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon, female, 6 yrs old
Flight: Yes

Re: Please help

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 pm

The first thing to do is to become friends with the bird, and to do this you will have to earn its trust. This is done by spending a great deal of time with the bird just talking to it and singing could be used as well, which is pretty much what you said you are doing. Two things about it that may help with the process, Spend the time in short 15 minute sessions, 2 to 4 times per day, and let the bird come to you, don't reach for the bird or ask it to step up. It is ok to offer the occasional treat during these sessions but let the bird come to you.
Once the bird comes to you it would be a good time to introduce target training. The following link will help with that viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227 .

The only way to teach a parrot to talk is to talk to it and the same for singing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations