Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

parrot vocabularies.

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

parrot vocabularies.

Postby GMV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 am

i'm curious to know how well you birds talk, and their species.
bliss [Cockatiel] knows no words, but he is only 4/5 months old.
delight [GCC] is about one year old, tries to talk, but it sounds like scratchy failure.
lily [umbrella too] knew 19 words coming to us, and learned 5 more in the 3-4 weeks she has been with us so far.
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]
Flight: Yes

Re: parrot vocabularies.

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

Oh, geez, I've never counted the words but my best talkers are a male Senegal which not only has a large vocabulary but speaks in context all the time and a female yellow nape amazon which has a large vocabulary, speaks in context some of the time, and sounds just like a person talking.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: parrot vocabularies.

Postby GMV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 am

oh yes, lily always speaks in context, "lock her up" and "good night" at night."i love you" when i walk away from the cage or give her something she likes. "hello lily" when she is nervous. "want some bread" when she eats bread. "HAHAHAHA" when she tricks us. "FREDERICK, GORDON!!!" when she wants me or my brother to hold her. "hello" when we pick up the phone. she says whatcha doin??? randomly. and she picked up 3 dog names at her old home. actually, she used to ride around on her old dogs backs!
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations