Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot very vocal when TV is on

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Parrot very vocal when TV is on

Postby seye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi all!

I just need a little advice. My African Grey, Zizu always screams happily when the TV is on. Of course I ignore him. But sometimes the noise is piercing. I have considered rewarding him for the times he is quiet but its not that easy. His being quiet and rewarding him doesn't seem like a good cue for rewarding as he may start screaming after rewarding him. He is a sweet bird apart from the screaming and whistling and chattering.

What do you advice I do?
seye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot very vocal when TV is on

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Could you give us more information on this, like where is he located in relation to the TV ? Does he get out of his cage very much and if so how much is one on one time with you and how much is free time ? Also any additional information that you feel may help us to understand why he might be doing this would be helpful.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for your reply.

He is about 12 to 15 feet from the TV. He gets about an hour of out of cage time and I do alone time with him say 5 minutes about 4 times a day. We play 'scratch-your-head'. He's not fully tame as he won't step up. But he allows me to touch him. He was wild caught but on his way to getting tame. He talks very well. In my voice. Greets good morning, says 'are you okay?'. Says Good night. He says 'where are you going'.

He's not afraid to come over to my plate when I'm eating to share a bit of my food and loves to rub his face on mine.

He just seems so noisy. While he's out of the cage he whistles, makes all the familiar sounds and bird sounds he knows and then experiments on new sounds but he's louder when the tv is on which just makes me go crazy.
seye
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:51 pm

I am thinking that he is as loud as he is partially because he is wanting you to hear him over the TV, just as he would in a flock.
He doesn't get nearly enough out of cage time either one on one with you or as free time to fly about, explore or just to hang out with you. He really needs to spend at least an hour each day one on one with you and at least another 3 to 4 hours out of his cage to do what he needs to do, probably just to hang out with you. I think that his getting as loud as he does is him trying to talk with you as he wants to spend time with you . Try giving him more time out and see if that helps. You could get him to quiet down when he does this with the TV on and when he does quiet down let him out to perch on your arm or shoulder and spend time with you.
Let me know if this helps.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:43 am

Wolf is right, the TV is like a human flock calling to him and he tries to call to you louder than the rest of the 'flock' so try letting him out of his cage when the TV is on (he needs 4 hours, anyway, so might as way 'kill two birds with one stone' -terrible saying, no?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:25 am

@Pajarita: That was really funny @killing two birds with one stone
seye
Parrotlet

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:24 am

Yeah parrots generally like noise and often start chattering when somethin loud is on like the vacuum/tv
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations