Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Talking Zoo Parrots-Not G-rated

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Talking Zoo Parrots-Not G-rated

Postby Harpmaker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Something reminded me of this recently.

I was at the San Diego Zoo many years ago, waiting for friends to come out of the walk-through humming-bird enclosure. Across the way was a cage that was labelled "Great Blue Macaw" -Hyacinth, maybe?-with two birds in it. The larger bird looked at the smaller one and said "Hi there." The smaller one said "Hello." Then the larger one started walking down the cage and sidling sideways along the perch toward the smaller one, going "Hi there..Hi there..Hi there" while the smaller bird was silent. At last the larger bird got within reach of the smaller one and started nibbling the back of its neck, while laughing a slightly evil laugh, "AH HA Ha ha....AH HA Ha ha." The smaller bird had enough and shrieked, then flew to a corner of the cage. The larger bird walked after it muttering "Goddammit! Goddammit!"

I cracked up. Not all my friends believed me. Next time we went to the zoo it had been rearranged, and we couldn't find the same birds.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Talking Zoo Parrots-Not G-rated

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us, I loved it!!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Talking Zoo Parrots-Not G-rated

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:55 pm

LOL - Aren't they amazing?! But your story made me sad because that means that the large bird was a pet that was relinquished to the zoo, which is never a good thing for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations