Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Discouraging calling Whistle?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Discouraging calling Whistle?

Postby ahappel » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi there!
I have a green cheek conure whose about 5-yrs old, kept in a large cage near the front window of the house, tons of puzzles and toys, and a radio on 24/7.

About a year and a half ago he picked up a habit of whistling when the roommates are in the kitchen doing anything. This mostly occurs in the early AM, every day, which wakes the house up for the 30-min or so that he carries on doing it. He usually stops when the roommate leaves for work, and does it sporadically the rest of the day but not consistently. If I show up he ceases, or if i get fed up with it after a long bout and I tell him to stop it. I think he picked it up from an old roommate that whistled a lot, but currently the roommates don't make noises to entice this.

He is clicker trained, and is usually pretty quite. I used to sqwak a bit at sunrise, but since it switched to an ear-piercing whistle (think of the up-swing note of a cat call, on repeat) Id like to try to switch it out but am unsure how. I understand you can praise a more pleasurable sound, but the other sounds he makes are hard to hear through out the house so i don't know how well that will work.

What other ideas do people have for trying to retrain this noise?
ahappel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green-Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Discouraging calling Whistle?

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:31 pm

you can either retrain to a more suitable noise or if you don't respond to it for long enough it will eventually fade out.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby sidech » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:44 am

Why the radio on 24/7 ? This would be annoying to anyone, and I'm sure it's not helping him distinguish between night and day.
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 am

Take him out and let him ride somebody's shoulder. It's what he wants and needs. I don't believe in ignoring a bird screaming out of loneliness.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 pm

I have a GCC and mine whistles, and when he does I know he is saying over here, pay attention to me. When he whistles is when he really wants to be picked up. I will be next to him and he will give me a whistle and I will pick him up. I would rather have him whistle then scream at me. Also does your roommate ever pay attention to your parrot. I would have them go over when they get up and say hello to him. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations