Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey noise

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: African Grey noise

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 am

Grays, in my personal experience, are one of the hardest species to switch to a good diet. A gray I had took 5 years to eat a diet rounded enough to please me so don't give up. But what you need to do is cook whole grains lightly (the outside soft but the inside hard) and mix a tiny bit of small seeds into them (millet works), put the mix in the bowl and just leave it there all day long. At night, take this bowl out and give them 1/4 cup of seeds for dinner. Once they go to sleep, take the bowl out and, in the morning, give them the cooked grains with the seeds again and keep on doing this until they eat the grains (you will find empty grain 'skins'). Once they eat the grains, you can start gradually adding cooked vegetables.

I would not use a parrot diet reference so old. No studies were done before that, the first one was the Roudybush and UCDavis at the Psittacine Research Project in the early 80's, and even those studies were terribly deficient in methodology (they fed them for a determined period of time and then kill the entire batch to look at their internal organs).

Link on the tiel one:http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=birdBrain.articlesRead&article_id=2

these are just the recaps that you find for free on the net, you need to subscribe to a scientific site (I belong to three different ones) to get the full studies
protein requirements in amazons: http://www.jagran.nl/PrimoSite/show.do? ... 648,354377
the best about macaw chicks because it was done in the scarlet preserve: http://www.jagran.nl/PrimoSite/show.do? ... 648,504965
protein requirements of three different species: http://www.jagran.nl/PrimoSite/show.do? ... 648,246732
about grays and digestibility: http://www.jagran.nl/PrimoSite/show.do? ... 648,211060
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:04 pm

While the book is dated, which is something that I stated to begin with, it still contains a lot of useful information in it and it can easily provide a base as well as a framework for further research, which I believe I also stated. I further believe from the tone of this persons writing that they are likely to use it as a springboard to an even greater understanding of their birds and not as a definitive guide. The very first information that I came across when I needed to learn about parrots was even more dated, I mean like it made the dinosaurs look like infants, it was so old. But it did serve it purpose, which was to get me pointed in the right direction.
Thank you by the way for these latest links that you provided, as I am going to look at them as soon as I finish here.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:18 am

Yes, of course, everything is useful but, when it comes to parrots diets, it's best if you go with the latest ones for the simple reason that anything written years ago was geared toward domesticated fowl- don't forget we used to feed parrots peanuts and sunflower seeds back then! Geez, even Harrison's pellets were made out of soybeans, peanuts and corn with man-made vitamins added to the mix and nothing else until only a few years ago! We have not learned enough but we have learned A LOT in the last few years.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Actually, the book was provided on a Harrisons site and it explains exactly what you just stated. It however doesn't go into any exact diet to feed to any bird. It does give information on what RDA's were used in the formulation of the feeds that were current at the time as well as providing a newer set of RDA's that showed that the formulated foods then available were much too rich in proteins and fats, as well as showing that the vitamin/ mineral levels were wrong for parrots. And it did provide a set of RDA's that reflected the newest research at the time which said that 12% protein was at the high end of what parrots would need normally, and generally about right for breeding season.
A big difference to the norm at the time of writing.
I also thought that the chapters on behaviors were in need of some major overhauling. But if one uses it to have a starting point for further research, then it can be very insightful.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:37 am

Yes, I understand that but not everybody digs deeper so I always worry that people would think that things that since have become obsolete, are still current and valid. For example, the 12% is obsolete because, for one thing, different species have different requirements but, just going with one of the studies I gave you a link for, amazons require 17% during breeding season - and they are one of the 'low protein' species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:41 pm

That is why I keep digging and digging, It does at present, keep me from moving on to other areas of interest with regards to parrots, but it does take time to sort it all out. Additionally, all of the outdated information makes it harder for new people, because they just see it as conflicting information and not the growth in knowledge that it represents.
Anyway, I am now reading a more up to date medical book on avian medicine, We'll see what I learn in it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:02 am

Yes, it takes a lot of time to sort things out and get to the right bottom of things and, you know what? (one of my grandkids starts every single utterance with this question and it's driving me crazy!), IT NEVER ENDS! I've been doing research for years and years (20 and counting) and I still devote a good hour to it every single day... and every single day I discover something I did not know before or thought I knew but realized I didn't!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Sounds like that one is about 5 or 6. I think that was the age of the last child that I remember using that phrase in that manner. Any way aren't you glad that your parrots don't all do it too?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:13 am

Actually, she is 10 and the question goes: "Nana, you know what?" and so many times a day (she is hyperactive, highly intelligent and a chatterbox :D ) that I was ready to throw myself out of a window!

And speaking of been glad the parrots don't do it... The smoke alarm right outside the birdroom started beeping because the battery was getting low. At the beginning, it's just a beep or two a day but, if you don't change it, the frequency increases and my husband been the proverbial 'mañana guy' let it go (despite my asking him a thousand times!) for days until, one day last week, it started and it would not stop. This went on for a couple of hours (he was fixing the backyard fence and said he would do it when he finished) until I could no longer take it and decided to do it myself - so I am mumbling to myself about men's laziness and going down to the basement to get the ladder when he comes in through the basement door and takes the ladder from me with his usual lethany that I always have to have things done IMMEDIATELY, that I am always rushing and have no patience, etc. etc (you can tell we've been married a long time, can't you? :lol: ) to which I reply that you can't let an annoying noise like that go on because the parrots will learn it and drive us nuts with it - he looks at me like 'Yeah, right' and just goes upstairs to fix it. Three days later, we are downstairs and hear the beeping again and it's coming from the same alarm so I start ragging him about not really changing it while we are both going up the stairs - when we realize it was coming from the birdroom! :shock: Yep, one of the parrots had learned it and now we have a permanently low battery smoke alarm beeping on and off throughout the day!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:16 pm

And it's fun, fun, fun for everyone....yeah right!
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations