Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Postby Curious Diode » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:48 pm

This post has been overwritten by an open source script.
Last edited by Curious Diode on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious Diode
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Green cheek can't whistle or sing, Instead he screeches.

Postby shiraartain » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:21 am

I have never heard my green cheek sing. The closest he gets to singing is when he learns to say words in the sing-song way that we say them.

My understanding before I got him was that they make green cheek noises, but don't usually talk/talk much.

Mine does screech too. He screeched just now, when my flash turned on as I took a photo of him. He cried two nights ago after I accidentally woke him up. And he screeches when something scares him.

He chatters sometimes, but I don't get any excited screeches. Do you perhaps have a video?
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 am

You should hear Mimi my amazon trying to sing to the music, but I suggest that it be done from at least 200 feet away from the house at this time of the year. You could easily double that distance in warm weather when the windows are open.
It may take some time but if you will whistle when the bird calls to you it will pick up on it. I do not know how much their age has to do with it but I know that even just with talking it takes a long time for them to start to try to say any of the words. The closest that I have to a GCC is my Senegal, Kiki, she is now about 7 years old and really has just started saying her name clearly enough to be understood by people other than myself, her thank you is still mostly a scream done at low volume and she says several other things that although I can tell that they should be words, just have not quite reached the point that I can even guess what they might be. I am not sure as I would have to go back through all my posts to find out when she first started trying to speak, so I am guessing that it was about 9 or 10 months ago that I first recognized a word and maybe 2 or 3 months before that when I even realized that she was trying to speak words. Be patient and talk to your bird a lot with a sing song aspect to how you say things and for whistleing you must whistle back to the bird often and they will pick up on these things when they are ready. Try to remember that they do not have vocal cords like we have and that they have to change the shape of their airway to speak and they also do this without the use of lips. It is not easy for them to learn these things.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:47 am

I don't know what you mean by 'singing' exactly. It could be singing like people sing (which, at least in my own experience, they don't do) or it could be singing like some people call what cockatiels do (which is not singing the way a canary would sing but a vocalization). GCCs screech. That's pretty much they way they vocalize - as most conures would. I guess they could learn to imitate a whistle like a wolf one (most birds can do that one because it's an easy one) but none of mine did. Of the two males I've had, one talked while the other one did not (not a single word -but, then, he was the one that had been abused). Of the two females, both said a couple of words, one of them their own name, but that was about it. GCCs are not really known for their speaking ability. In my personal experience, their most outstanding and valuable features are their sweetness and cuddliness
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Mimi, my YNA talks and screams, some of the screams are her attempts at opera singing and she has exactly one, single note whistle, Kookooloo, my Grey can speak, although not in front of anyone other than myself, but she still doesn't have a large vocabulary, just a few words and most of them are not very clear. Kiki says three words at this time, they are not very clear but she has not been doing it for very long either. Some birds never talk and you never know when, if or why they do or do not choose to speak.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Going to have to agree with Parjarita's last sentence. Ringnecks are supposed to be talkers, but ours only whistles, and GCCs arent supposed to be talkers, but Fajr is building up his vocabulary steadily.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:11 am

Screeches, is the way most of GGCs natural vocalizations are. They will copy other birds sounds so exposure to parrots or birds that make more pleasant vocalizations my help them to decide to copy it. Many do learn to talk, expecially if there is a talking parrot around them. Their speaking voice is not as clear as a Poicepahlus parrot, but may things they say can be understood. My daughters GGC conure learned to speak by copying my Red Belly Parrot Gaugan, so most of the things he said in the beginning were, "such a good bird Gaugan" "Hi Gaugy Bird" etc. My daughter would say that she would hear about Gaugan all day....lol

The best things about GGC is their funny acrobatics, the way they will play on their backs and they wild way they play with toys. Yours may of may not learn to talk, but they are a fun parrot.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations