Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flock call change

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Flock call change

Postby JessiMuse » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:24 pm

I wasn't sure where else to put this. If it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it to the correct category.

Anyways if anyone remembers Lucy being lost, you may remember how her voice became somewhat hoarse when she got back. Though her normal chirps sound fine, her flock calling never did go back to how it was.

Today, she just proved that she could perfectly mimic Alex's flock call, which tends to be pretty high pitch even for a cockatiel.

So I'm wondering if Lucy's voice never did get haorse, but more like she changed her flock call on purpose.

Anyone have any ideas why this is? I find it weird that she's capable of calling in a higher pitch like she used to, but chooses not to. I mean, it could be possible that her voice was was hoarse at first, and she's just gotten used to the tone that she calls in now. I just find it weird that she's capable of making a normal cockatiel flock call sound, and chooses not to.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Flock call change

Postby Chantilly » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:45 am

Although I have no idea on the answer to this, that is very intresting...
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Re: Flock call change

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Hmmm, well, in my personal experience, female tiels only call when lonely or hormonal -otherwise, you don't hear a peep out of them which is a good thing because when they call for a mate they can drive you up a wall with the constant, monotonous call! (I had one that wanted another female's mate and she called non-stop -ay, ay, ay) I don't know exactly what age she is or if it's that she is beginning to recognize Alex as a possible mate but I would say that it has to do with hormones and not so much a change in her flock call.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations