Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found an app to teach your bird

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Found an app to teach your bird

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Thats an interesting thing Pajarita, I have often thought Gaugan is smarter than the other Pois I have been around in the past. It is hard for us to see intelligence. Sunny is really good at staying on all his parrot playgrounds and hanging gyms in the two rooms, and Gaugan is a little brat right now using any opportunity when no one is looking, to land on my cabinet and chew. Sunny watches her get put in her cage after I have removed her a few times and I think he has learned he will go back in his cage if he follows her there like he follows her everywhere else. So I am seeing intelligence in new ways and thinking a lot about it these days. He listens better than her. She is stubborn and wont listen to what she doesnt want to. So is Sunny just staying out of trouble or is it a sign of intelligence, or both?
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:56 am

Hard to tell.... but I think that the fact that he is a juvenile while she is kind of middle-aged makes more of a difference than their different species. I really have very little experience with young birds because I hardly ever get one but I've had a very few that came to me as still juveniles or very recently sexually mature (GCC, Sunday, quaker - also little ones like budgies, tiels and lovies but I am not using them for the comparison because they are really aviary and react completely different from a companion) and lived with me for years (becoming full fledged adults in the process) and I noticed that they were much easier to deal with when they were young than, later on, when they became full-fledged adults. It's like they begin to take us for granted as they get older and become more willing to see how far they can 'bend the rules'. But I do definitely believe that animals of the same species and even breed (as in dogs, for example) have a wide range of IQs and some are just plain geniuses while others are a bit 'slow' :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Yeah you are probably right about that, but some characteristic show up early.

When looking at my daughters Meyers and my Meyers they are so different, even though they are both males and close to same age. Sunny does not hold a grudge and if Gaugan gets rough he forgives her almost instantly. When Gaugan is on me, Sunny wants to be on me, and is pacing excitedly, he just wants to be where all the action is and he wants to fit in.....I know we shouldnt look at parrots with human feelings....lol....but it looks to me like Sunny is always saying "are you okay with me know, can I be near you know?"

My daughters Meyers is a lot more like Gaugan than Sunny in some ways. He likes to be the "big boss" of the parrots. He gets moody and jealous if he is not getting the most atttention.He has a big reaction, if another parrot will not be friends with him. He does not lsten about going on furniture, and keeps on with it. He is pals with a GGC but lately the GGC is not wanting to hang with the other parrots much. My daughter Meyers seems to be saying " I want to do what I want and everyone should like me best"

It wil be interesting to see how they develop.

When Gaguan was one year old she already showed her characteristics. At her "terrible twos" she became more stubborn. At around 4 years old she decided she hated cockateils, because they would not folow rules she thought were in place and that is when she got really chewy. She still tolerated Budgies, other Pois and Conures, because they gave her "space" At the age she is now she has mellowed a lot and is capable of much more understanding of situations, and of having realtionships with many people, but if she becomes insecure or jealous, everyone except for me has to look out. The other day Gaugan was moody and my hubby had been talking a lot to Sunny and Gaugan flew down and pecked at his toes. I have told him never to shuffle back, but he had to, its instinct i guess. If I give Sunny what Gaguan thinks is too much atttention she will get all sulky, and I have to go charm her out of it. Gaugans motto is be unpredictable, keep them on their toes......lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations