Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Simo the Silent!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Simo the Silent!

Postby Viatrixa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:03 pm

:irn: I really don't think there's anything wrong or amiss here, but we have noticed that Simo is generally a very silent bird. He does vocalize, most notably he has these silent but distinctive squawks. So far he seems to have learned no words - but he did learn to laugh, which he picked up literally in an hour after I started to go "hahaha" after him. I wonder, could this be a case of the "shy talker bird?" Meaning, he speaks when maybe we're not around to see it?

I'm honestly not bothered weather he'll ever learn to talk "human" or not, but I am curious if he does it when no one hears! I know that Ringnecks are good talkers, and we talk to him reguarly, repeating many words. At times I catch him moving his beak and I hear faint whispery sounds, but not words.

Or could he still be too young? I've heard that the age they properly pick up words can vary an awful lot. Some IRN learn it at only half a year old, some when a bit older. I'm not bothered if he's a silent thinker :roll: but it'd be nice to hear some thoughts on this.
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Simo the Silent!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:32 am

Although they can talk, I don't think I would call IRNs 'good' talkers because it seems to me (no personal experience, just going by what I read on forums) that they are more non-talkers than talkers in the species. And, when it comes to talkers versus non-talkers, to tell you the truth, I don't really know what makes the difference. I have birds that have a large vocabulary and I have birds that don't say a word. Then I have one bird that having said one single phrase her entire life (and she is, at least, 32 years old now): "Hi, Nate" (she used to be called Nathan in her previous life), she is now saying Hello, meowing and beginning to baby talk other phrases after been with me for 9 years...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Simo the Silent!

Postby liz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:52 am

Most of the time Rambo does not talk. He just makes noises such as happy noises when I give him a fresh plate of food and continues while eating it. He could go for a week with out talking human words other than "c'mere" or his contact call "helloooo". When he does talk he has a large enough vocabulary to explain himself or ask questions.

I heard him talking quietly in the sunroom and peaked to see what he was doing. He was practicing his words. When I laughed he said "don't you ever ever ever". I was reprimanded for scaring him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations