Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Changing undesirable vocalizations to more bearable ones?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Changing undesirable vocalizations to more bearable ones?

Postby m8r-k8lwrp » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 am

I was gifted a young green cheek at a bad time, I had to go out of state for a week for work (I don't do this often). So I left my birds with my mom, who has dogs, who have toys that squeak. So my new conure was with my mom for a week listening to her dogs squeak their toys and when he screams it sounds like a squeaky toy, which is somehow so much worse than normal screaming. Is there any way I can change his vocalizations back to something more tolerable? I'd record him squeaking for you guys but he seems to only do it when I am out of the room or on the phone :)
m8r-k8lwrp
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Changing undesirable vocalizations to more bearable ones?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:21 am

:lol: Isn't it a real bummer when they pick up these terrible noises?! I had one that learned how to do the BEEP BEEP BEEP of the smoke alarms when the battery is beginning to run low and it drove my husband crazy because he kept on checking them all to see which one was the one beeping when it was the parrot all along (serves him right because it was his fault that he allowed it beep like that long enough for the parrot to learn it!). The only thing I can suggest (and, in truth, it might not work at all but it has worked for me with parrots that say bad words) is to ignore it as, eventually, it will forget about it and replace it with another noise.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations