Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Animal 'conversations'

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Animal 'conversations'

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 am

Study on animal communication [much more widely found than we believed!] and why it should be very important to teach parrots cognitive speech!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 082327.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Animal 'conversations'

Postby Laurie Feldman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 am

Is there a thread here about cognitive speech? Our You-You uses a lot of cognitive speech (in addition to his own "ramblings" and repeated phrases he just likes). He uses both Italian and English, as we are a bi-lingual family, has different names for me and for my husband, which he uses specifically and exclusively for each of us; asks to come out of the cage, or for the cage to be moved; says "Bye bye" when we are leaving the house, etc. He also uses tone of voice, inflection, "question mark" sound and "Exclamation point" sound. I'm fascinated by cognitive speech in birds, and the use of tone and expression. :senegal:
Laurie Feldman
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby liz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:42 am

Rainbow has a large vocabulary and uses his words into sentences to say what he means. The tone was the thing that through me the most. He can use the same sentence to be a statement, a question or an answer.

I wish I was a mind reader. He/She is an intelligent little green bird.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm

My male senegal, Sweetpea, also uses cognitive language virtually all the time... he even makes jokes and laughs after them. His name was supposed to have been Sabu (the name of an Indian youth actor from way back) but he has never responded to it and he calls himself Sweetpea as in he asks: "What's your name?" And used to answer: "SWEETPEA!!!" but nowadays, he asks the question and expect me to answer it correctly or he answers "Sweetpea. That's right" Sometimes, he asks the question and answers "Pretty bird" and, when I tell him that's not his name, he laughs. Also, when he asks for me to answer "Sweetpea" and I don't, he keeps on asking and asking, louder and louder, until I reply correctly when he says "That's right'.

But that is only one example. He knows lots of words and phrases he uses to communicate accurately... like Good morning in the morning and Night night at night (his other joke is to say Good evening at any point during the day because he knows I will laugh and call him 'Silly bird". He is also very good at ordering and 'translating' for other birds, telling the new birds to eat a new food when I am offering it to them ("Eat it!) to go into their cages when it's time for them to do it ('Get in. Get in there!") and even telling them to "Stop it!" when he gets mad.

A few days ago, I forgot to give him and Zoey Senegal (to whom he says: "You are such a pretty bird!") their dinner and, when I came downstairs after feeding the birds in the big species room, he was loudly asking: "What's the matter? Night night! Eat it!" (he thinks that "Eat it" is human speech for food).

And I can go on and on with examples of cognitive speech from him but, in all honesty, although other birds have made the connection between certain actions or people and the words that represent them, he is the only bird I've ever had (and I've cared for hundreds when I had the rescue) that uses true cognitive speech so I don't think there are that many out there...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:37 am

Rainbow seems to be too busy these days to talk much but when she does it is very clear.

Myrtle is just starting to talk and make sense. I no longer have a dog door so when I leave I put my dogs out and tell them to go to my son's house. They are sometimes slow so Myrtle has picked up "move it" at that time. Yesterday Rachel said she had to go some where. Myrtle said "you move it".

Instead of "pretty bird" she now says "I'm a pretty bird".

She is nine years old and just starting to make sense.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations