Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your parrot talk?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Does your parrot talk?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I guess I'll do an update on our flock:

Scooter, our green-cheek conure says:
"Pretty bird"
"Pretty Scoo-scoo" or just "Scoo-scoo!"
"Pretty Scoo-bird"
"What's up"
"Thank you Scoo"
"Hey birdie" (Although Scotty adopted this as his contact call and Scooter rarely uses it).
He also wolf-whistles and has a sharp, summoning whistle
There are other human-sounding vocalizations I haven't been able to hear properly yet.

Scotty, our Cape, has an extensive repetorie and we still hear new things he must have learned elsewhere as well as new things he picked up at our house. He lived in a store that with a number of macaws and greys including frequent boarders with large vocabularies and his cage sometimes sounds like a Satruday morning cartoon show. He got the new phone ring within 24 hours.
"Hey birdie", "Hey bird"
"Hey buddy"
"Pretty birdie", "Pretty bird"
"Good bird"
"Step up!" in about five different intonations and voices, from demanding to questioning
"Move it!"
Makes the kiss sound, but doesn't say kiss
Wolf whistles
"Hello" two or three versions
"Cock-a-doodle-doo" like a cartoon rooster or alarm clock
Several cell phone ring tones
I now can't remember the exact wording it is infrequent but "Not that way!" and several similar phrases, all in the same voice. Not us! "Whatever" as well.
Large range of beeps and whistles that sound like micorwave, alarm setting tones, alarms, etc.
"Aaaawwww....." in a kind of little girly voice, he uses this when he slips, or if he's done something naughty and thinks he's about to be set down.
He makes a stretching noise while stretching one wing and one leg out and he likes it if I copy the movement and make the same sound.
I know I'm missing stuff. It's "Hey birdie" all the time and the rest at intervals.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Vikki » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

One of the things we've been trying to teach our hybrid macaws to say is "I'm a cockatoo!"...LOL, because when we have them out, everyone always asks what kind of bird they are.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. - Aesop
Vikki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's parrot, Catalina Macaw, Harlequin Macaw, Hahn's macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Vicki5280 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 am

Fun question! I have no idea how old Bucky was when he started talking, but he was "about a year old" when he came to live with us. I was told he could say: step-up, come-on, I love you, hi, hello, and "wolf" whistle. That was two weeks ago.

As of today, I've heard him say:

Step-up
Come on
Good bird
Good job
Bucky
Mango
Hi
NO! (to our dog!)
Good boy
"Wolf" whistle
"kiss kiss" sound

And he makes a "groany" sounding sound with me when I sing. I'm confident he'll learn the words within the next year or so! :)
Bucky - Quaker :monk:
JJ - Turquoise GCC Image
Vicki - Me! :dancing2:
Vicki5280
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Greencheek Conure, Lovebird

Postby Roger P » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:00 pm

May as well jump in here with Merlin's list thus far:

Step Up
What's Up?
Good Morning
Watcha Doin?
Kisses
Thank you (only after kisses)
Good Job!
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure

Postby patdbunny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 am

All my birds talk every day, all day long. I just have no idea what they're saying as I don't speak bird.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 pm

patdbunny wrote:All my birds talk every day, all day long. I just have no idea what they're saying as I don't speak bird.

:D :D :D

I speak a little bird. We all go click-cluck to one another....
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Margaret » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm

patdbunny wrote:All my birds talk every day, all day long. I just have no idea what they're saying as I don't speak bird.

Feel the same. It's like their speak some foreign language and from the context, their body and intonation I can pick up if they're happy, crappy, sleepy, hungry or whatever else at that moment.
My guess will be:
Mango is constantly saying:" Don't listen to people guys!"
Coconut words will be: "Let's fly more, you lazy guys!"
Blueberra would say: "Let's destroy more guys!"
Plum would say:" I want play, destroy, eat and fly in the same time!"
and Chico will whistle: "Be my slave, scratch my beak and head. I need attention!" ;)
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby MissJamie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 am

I'm not sure if Harry the Double-Yellow Headed Amazon is outside the normal "range" of talking ability for his species, but he says a LOT of things and makes a LOT of different sounds. He kind of runs through them all in a pretty predictable routine, LOL. "Hello" (in various tones, including a long drawn out questioning way, like you might say "Helloooooo... anybody home?"), "Pretty bird", "Here kitty, kitty, kitty... meow!" "TROUBLE! GRUMPY! (our dogs' names)", "Mama!", my shriek when I'm being tickled, an evil kind of laugh, "MOM!", a telephone ringing, the mewling sounds of little kittens (not sure where he got that from as we actually never bred cats or had kittens around), "WOW!", a big kiss sound, the indistinct and muffled conversation that he picked up when he was kept on the back porch and only heard us speaking through the sliding glass door... A door creaking open that he's associated with every door, including sliding glass doors, back porch doors, front doors, cabinet doors, his cage doors, as well as anything that makes a similar creaking noise whether it is or isn't actually a door.

There's probably more but that's all I can think of right now. He's pretty talkative when you get him going, and yells "MOM!" when he wants attention in lieu of actual screaming, but in general he is pretty quiet and speaks only when spoken to. Though he does "mutter" a bit when he's alone, not sure if he's keeping himself entertained, or practicing new words!
Image Rio [Blue Parrotlet; coming home 6/8!]
Image Harry [Double Yellow-Headed Amazon; hatched ca. 2000]
MissJamie
Parakeet

Postby BudgieSansWings » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 am

Maya came to me with quite a vocabulary... And in the less than two weeks he's been with me, he's already picked up new words like 'Almost there!' which I said to him only a couple of times when he was in his carrier to and from the vet. The oddest thing he's said is 'Tyranosaur'. But he mumbles a lot and always says hello when we pick up our cell phones and then babbles at the phone. Also he's been very good about telling me no when he doesn't want to be touched. I do my best to respect that, and he respects when I say no, too.
BudgieSansWings
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby chadsnyder » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm

I like to tell people that my parrot talks with much more than voice and sound. Everything he does is saying something. My Parrotlet vocalizes all the time as if he is trying to tell me something and I find the challenge of figuring him out much more exciting than trying to get him to say "pretty bird".
But nonetheless I am awed at parrots that talk alot. It's an interesting topic!
chadsnyder
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations