Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why does Chance call me by her name?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Why does Chance call me by her name?

Postby GreenWing » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Do birds know their own names? I thought they did. Why is it that Chance sometimes calls me by her name?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Why does Chance call me by her name?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:40 am

Well, just because she uses the name Chance when you are around doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't consider it her name. The whole thing depends on how and when you teach them their names. For what I have read in studies on their vocalizations, baby parrots learn their names when they are in the nest but, in captivity, because the name-learning age window is much earlier than when we get them and breeders don't name them, they can get confused -which doesn't mean they can't learn the name we give them as their own, only that it's not a sure thing because it depends on how you teach it. See, the thing is that parrots announce themselves to others by using their proper name [kind of like a person who walks into a house and says: "It's me, Tom!" so, if we use a name when we first approach them [from another room because it has to be at a point when we are not there and then we are and approaching them], they would assume that is our name and not theirs. Linus Too, for example, thinks his name is "Hi, Linus!" and that humans are "Hello!" :lol: But she could be using Chance as her name because they also use their name to call attention to themselves [Javi does this all the time] as in "Come to Chance! Chance is here!" so she could be using her own name to ask you to pay attention to her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Why does Chance call me by her name?

Postby liz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 am

Myrtle calls me by her own name when she is trying to tell me to pay attention to her for something. When I am eating and not sharing she will get on my shoulder and say Myrtle in a soft voice as if to say Myrtle wants some.

Chance may be using her own name to tell you that Chance wants something.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations