Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"Night Night"

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

"Night Night"

Postby crousseau » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm so excited! My 3yr old Senegal, Maggie, spoke for the 1st time. I've been saying "Night Night" consistently for a few weeks when I put her to bed at night and last week she said it back to me. I've been saying "Hello" to her for a year now and can't get her to say that yet. My husband seems to think it's the difference between a 1 syllable and 2 syllable word. I don't care she says it and that's all that matters :). I'd like to post a pick of her but can't get it small enough :(

Charline
crousseau
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: "Night Night"

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Kili picked up hello fairly quickly but after nearly 2 years of saying "night night" to her before covering her for bed, she has never said it once. I definitely wanna see a video of this, maybe if she hears another parrot say it, she'll learn quicker :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm

I've been saying 'Night Night' to both Lucy and Jessie for years and neither one has ever said it. Jessie does love playing his peekaboo game at night though - whenever I cover my face with his blanket and bring it down he says 'peekaboo'

I'm not sure why they pick up some things, but not others. An example is for a couple months I always said 'See you later' when I left the house ... after a few months, they both started saying it. Now whenever we put shoes/coat on we get a chorus of 'See you later's'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Mantiguanasewmachy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 pm

This is a pretty old post, I'm sure you've gotten her to say more now! With Ozzie my Senegal, he has about 10 phrases/words but we have never been able to get him to say anything with three or more syllables. I think I did read somewhere though that male Senegal Parrots were louder and more talkative. And they can't get inflection like Amazons. Ozzie's Chinese is pretty monotone :l But we still think its cute.

Here's the best singing Senegal Parrot I've found on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izs6pdLP90
Mantiguanasewmachy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Orange Vested Senegal Parrot

Postby Wayne361 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 pm

When my youngest goes to bed she gets her bottle. Oscar will say "nite nite" when he sees her with the bottle right before her bed. When I go to bed I will say "Nite nite Oscar"....he says "nite nite buddy" Funny....he wont say "buddy" for my youngest....neat to see them use in context/learned.
I think males are better talkers as someone mentioned as well.
Also environment plays a role. Oscar said very little when I got him. His name, step-up, banana....that was about it. His vocabulary has grown quite a bit since then. Hes no African grey or Amazon...but for a sennie I think he does ok.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby eckie awesome!2732 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:34 am

My eclectus picked up just "Night" in just in about a week! [img][img]
eckie awesome!2732
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 13
Types of Birds Owned: 1 eclectus parrot, 2 peach-faced lovebirds, 3 cockatiels, 2 budgies, 2 quails,
1 pale headed rosella x Eastern rosella, 2 bourke parrots,

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:49 pm

eckie awesome!2732 wrote:My eclectus picked up just "Night" in just in about a week! [img][img]

That is pretty good for any bird, how old is your bird? You must spend a lot of time talking to it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby GreenWing » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:20 am

Hahaha! It has to be the best thing ever to hear "night night" in the cute Sennie voice. :)

Chance has said "night night" once, in her usual smoker-voice, lol.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:10 pm

GreenWing wrote:Hahaha! It has to be the best thing ever to hear "night night" in the cute Sennie voice. :)

Oscar has never smoked (obviously) but if anyone in the room coughs he will go off like he has smoked 3 packs a day for every one of his 11 years. :)
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Sun May 04, 2014 12:49 am

Wayne361 wrote:
GreenWing wrote:Hahaha! It has to be the best thing ever to hear "night night" in the cute Sennie voice. :)

Oscar has never smoked (obviously) but if anyone in the room coughs he will go off like he has smoked 3 packs a day for every one of his 11 years. :)

Lol!

Chance "fake coughs" too ;)
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations