Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

teaching a parrot to actually sing

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

teaching a parrot to actually sing

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:49 pm

I was in choir from 5th grade until I graduated so singing is one of my passions, and my teachers always taught there is a difference between mimicking and singing. I wonder if a parrot can be trained to actually learn different notes in music, like it learns different tricks. Has anyone heard of a parrot doing this?

Basically, a major scale is sang in solfege as do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do. Each of these notes also have hand signals to go with them:

So the parrot would associate the sound with the hand signal, and instead of singing up the scale over and over, I can jump around the scale, like "mi re do re mi mi mi, re re re, mi sol sol" (which is mary had a little lamb) or "sol la sol mi, sol la sol mi" (which is silent night ) but instead of learning the song it is learning the notes as I show them. Theoreticaly, the bird can sing hundreds of songs just by learning 8 notes of a scale. It doesnt seem too far from teaching regular trick training and mixing up the order of the tricks.

Think it'll work? Guess we'll find out in a few weeks/months. :)
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: teaching a parrot to actually sing

Postby HyperD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm

I would have thought it would be hard to get it to do more than a couple of notes at a time... not because they're not able but because they will run out of motivation and patience for their treat :D

But the best of luck, it will be very impressive if you manage it!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations