Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Talking Cockatiels?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Talking Cockatiels?

Postby guybo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 am

Hades isn't talking (yet!) but he does have some neat whistles. You know when the sound da-da-d-nuh nuh nuuuuh- CHARGE! Hades will whistle that part but doesn't say charge. He will do the whistle part and then end with a wolf-call whistle. He also picks up little themes from TV and other tunes. Sometimes we are sitting around the house, Hades is on the perch and he just starts the chant and out of nowhere whistles a tune I've never heard but it's not random- it's definitely a tune.

Hades is still young- about 10 months- I am hoping he talks. Perseus is starting to try and make voice-like sounds but no talking yet. He too is only about 10 months old.
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"
Flight: No

Postby Shani » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:05 am

Barney's too young to talk, but he chatters constantly, and he has the inflection down of "whatcha doin'?" in whistle form. He also does something occasionally that I swear to god sounds just like human laughter, but when you look at him when he's doing it he'll tilt his head to the side and make a noise that sounds like "Beep?"

I haven't been training him to talk - but I do talk to him about random things (yeah I'm a little crazy) and he chatters back :lol:
Shani
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Einstein has become quite the talker lately.

It feels like this week he's really started talking.

For the longest time I've been able to make out a hello. But now he's repeating a couple little phrases.

He says "love you", "pretty boy", "good boy", and "who's a good boy"

I need to get it on tape to show everyone. As with most cockatiels, his voice isn't exactly like a humans. It's very squeaky, as it should be. So don't expect him to be sounding like Alex :P

I'm so proud of him.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Previous