Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First Words

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

First Words

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 am

What were the first words or vocalizations your parrot made? Why do you think it learned that first? Did it become a better talker since?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: First Words

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 am

Mojo's first vocalization was the cat call. His first word was hello. I think he started doing the cat call before anything else because it was easier for him to 'whistle' than to speak. Or that I recognized that sound before I recognized that he was trying to say hello. Hello was the first thing I said to him when I came home or came into the room, he likely picked it up first because I said it in an excited tone and I said it often.

He's become a very good talker now. His vocabulary keep growing and his words are becoming quite clear.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Annie » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:58 am

I have only had my Senegal for 3 months he already started to talk. His first word was "WHAT". I think he said it because when he calls for me I would walk over and say what alot or what are you doing. His second was hello (I tried teaching him that one). His first whole sentence was I LOVE YOU, which he just recently started saying. I have it posted on you tube under skittles the senegal parrot says I love you, he says it very clearly about 32 seconds into the video. He is starting to say the phrase what are you doing (I say that a lot to him too). He does a lot of garbling too which is hard to understand but I can tell he is trying to say something.

He talks the most when I am giving him kisses and talking and playing with him. He doesn't do it much when he is in the cage.

Annie
:senegal:
Annie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal, 2 Parrotlets
Flight: No

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Marvin said his first clear word today. He said Ow. Apparently when his nails scratch me I saw ow ow ow. So he says ow. It's really funny!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby Heather » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 am

Jasper's first vocalization was the squeaking that the front door makes whenever it is opened or closed. He decided he wasn't getting enough attention one evening, and so decided to drive us nuts by thinking someone kept coming in and out of the house :lol: .

Goofy Sennie :senegal:
“She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you'd call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.”
Heather
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Canary
Budgerigars

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations