Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone here tried to teach true speech?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Anyone here tried to teach true speech?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm thinking here of the kind of training that went into Alex, where a concerted effort was made to give him language skills, not just isolated labels or phrases.

I think Scotty may have the tools to be quite a talented talker. This morning he floored me, and it isn't the first time. There are only a few things he says with regularity, but he occasionally comes out with real communication. He often asks "Step Up" and sometimes "Step Up NOW" when you open the door if he wants to come out. And for some time now he's repeated "Step UP, Step UP" when you tell him "Step Down" if he doesn't want to go back yet. Today I was trying to put him away and he was saying "Step UP" and I was saying, "No, Step DOWN!" He came out with "No! Step Up MORE". I had never heard either "No" or "More" from him before.

I have noticed that what he's picked up so far is more actions and communications and environmental sounds rather than labels for things. I wonder what I can do with this? This kind of training I could get way more excited about than trick training. Is there any kind of blueprint to follow other than what can be gleaned from "The Alex Studies"? I have Dr. Pepperberg's email address, it turns out, but somehow I don't think she'd be amused.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Anyone here tried to teach true speech?

Postby pchela » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't know of one but if you find out, I'd love to know. I'm also more enthused about this kind of training over trick training. I know she used modeling and that's about it.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: Anyone here tried to teach true speech?

Postby lzver » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Wow, sounds like Scotty is a smart little guy.

I'm facinated with the studies that Irene Pepperberg did. If you find any additional documentation or info, please post it, because I'd love to read it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations