Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Most effective way to capture a vocalization

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Most effective way to capture a vocalization

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Kili has known how to say "hello" for a while and I would really like to get that on cue. The problem is that I don't know ahead of time when she will vocalize so I can't be on the ready to catch it because it is unexpected. She gets shy talking in front of me so she won't say it if I'm watching usually. But if I'm out of site (even if I have my clicker and treats ready) it's really hard to get there in time to reward her. On the other hand, when she is out she never vocalizes. Any suggestions?

Interestingly she sometimes responds "hello" when I say "hello" but this isn't reliable. I do treat her in response to this but most of the problems from above continue to apply.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Most effective way to capture a vocalization

Postby windharper » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am

As Tamber's greatest talent right now is talking up a storm, I can share what works with me. I know you use clicker training. This is great and works quickly, when you have the clicker. If you always used the same vocalization, like "Good bird!" every time you clicked and rewarded her, she would soon get to know that the words "Good bird" also mean she did good and will get a treat. Then when she does something you want and don't have your clicker, just say, "Good bird" and get over to get her a treat asap. This will be enough to work. I do more vocalization of praise and it does work with Tamber.

I will add though that by identifying something everyday as I or he does it, causes him to remember and say it back to me. The very first thing I taught him was "Good stuff." Every morning I would say, "Good stuff, good stuff," as I was bringing in his morning treat (usually carrot or apple). It didn't take long before he started saying, "Good stuff, good stuff," before I'd bring in the morning treat! I am now working on identifying "Apple is good stuff," etc. in hopes that he will at some time be able to let me know what he wants.

"Hi" might be too abstract for starting...although because Kili is already able to say it, I think verbally praising her will be the best way to catch it soon after it happens and reward her.

In cases where the concept is abstract and the bird has no association with its world, it is harder. I know this also by my experience with Tamber. I read a story about a parrot in China or somewhere who flew away and was able to recite its address. Well, Tamber is smart, I thought I could at least teach him his name, my name and my husband's. Just by saying "My name is Tamber," just seemed impossible. I finally shortened it to "My name's Tamber." It took him 2 months just to say that. Meanwhile, I said, "Weeee" when he got on his swing one day. He got off and stared at me; I was quiet the moment after he left the swing. This happened just 4 times and then he was saying "Eeeeee" every time he got on his swing. (It took about a week to get the "W"
in there!) Context with their world can make it easier!

Deb
a.k.a windharper
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Most effective way to capture a vocalization

Postby crousseau » Tue May 04, 2010 2:21 pm

My former Senegal, Sugar, spoke many words and on cue. She knew what to say and when also. For example when we would leave the house she would say "See ya later" and make the sound of the door closing. Unfortunatly I had adopted her so I'm not sure how much time was spent, if any, teaching her but I was able to teach her a couple words in just a few months.

I think that each bird/Senegal is diff't. I now have Sugar's sister and she doesn't speek at all. She mimics sounds but no words yet and she's 3yrs old. The breeder I deal with has an Orange Belly Senegal and he talks up a storm and is learning words all the time. The funniest thing I find about these birds is that they will use the proper words at the proper time.
crousseau
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations