Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kili Says Hello

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Kili Says Hello

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:33 pm

So I've gotten really fed up with Kili screeching and screaming all the time I'm home to be let out (like border-line ready to strangle her). These were not her native screams either but ones she learned from other birds. Mind you I was careful not to reward the screaming but I think she just enjoys it inherently because she feels she is good at it.

She's known how to say hello for a little while but now I decided I had to put it on cue so she could say hello more often than scream. She would not say it if I stood in plain view but if I hid around the corner and said hello, on occasion she would say hello back purely as mimicking. I would immediately click and spring out to give her a big treat. It only took two nights of this before she was saying hello left and right. But whenever I'd say hello from out of sight and she was in cage, she would reply back hello. Now I'm working on getting her to say hello when I'm present but that is harder because I think the #1 reward for saying hello is my presence rather than the treat. She's learning that she can get me to come visit her by talking rather than screeching. This is great cause I'd rather listen to "hello hello" all day long than that annoying screeching. She's gotta get her vocal energy out somehow so better that then screaming.

So today I was out and briefly came into my apartment to get something. As I opened the door and stepped in out of her own volition Kili greeted me "hello!" It was the cutest thing ever. I walked over and gave her attention and talked to her. The next steps will be to get her to say it on cue whenever/wherever and to get "wanna come out" on cue so she can tell me to let her out when she wants out :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Kili Says Hello

Postby MandyG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Michael wrote:As I opened the door and stepped in out of her own volition Kili greeted me "hello!" It was the cutest thing ever. I walked over and gave her attention and talked to her. The next steps will be to get her to say it on cue whenever/wherever and to get "wanna come out" on cue so she can tell me to let her out when she wants out

Good job! Just make sure you keep saying just 'hello' and not 'hello Kili'! I made that mistake and now Mojo regularily says "Hello Mojo" and "Hi Mojo" to me :lol: ! He's started saying "Hi Buddy" when he lands on me now though, I know he's saying it to himself like when he says his own name, but other people think he's calling me his buddy!

Let us know how putting it on cue works! :senegal:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Makes sense. If anything you should be saying Hello Mandy to Mojo. You're friends would be so impressed that he knows your name lol :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm

He does say "Hi Buddy" When he lands on me now! It's because I say it to him, but my friends think he's calling me his buddy so it works!

Any luck with putting 'Hello' on cue or teaching 'wanna come out?'?
MandyG
Amazon

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Yes. I gotta make a video. I'm kind of behind on videos :?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 pm

Ok, here it is. Video of Kili saying "hello" on cue and some other tricks.

Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 am

She has such a cute little voice! Did you just capture her saying hello with the clicker and then add the cue?

Is there a reason she always turns to the right when she does 'wings'?
MandyG
Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:25 am

She started to say hello because I said hello to her a lot. Then on some occasions when I would say hello to her she would say it back. So it was almost on cue but then I started clicking when she'd say it back. This increased the amount of times she'd say it and it became captured on cue. At first she would only do this when she was in her cage and I was out of view. I would say hello, she would reply, I'd click and run over to treat her. So mostly it was about working away the shyness rather than capturing. I'd be less and less out of view to cue it and eventually have her sitting on my hand to do it. She decided to wave while saying hello. I thought it was cute so I stopped clicking when she did it without waving to preserve what she thought of.

As for wings, I have no idea why but she started doing it that way. She started with it straight on but I think she started doing the turn cause she treats it like a stretch. She stretches her wings as far as she can so when she can't go anymore, she starts stretching her body which led to the turn. It's only a shame she turns that way cause that's the ugly side with all the broken feathers. On the other side, she has a full set.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Mona » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi Michael:

Good job. You are really moving through her tricks and it's very concise, not sloppy at all. I had a hard time hearing Kili's Hello on the video....but I could see she said it by her throat movements. She is really very cute and you are doing a great job with her.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I know. It's tough. She says it really quietly and she'll usually double over me while saying it. It's kind of hard to get her to wait long enough to say it and then enunciate. She may not have the best voice but she is consistent on cue.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations