Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Female Red Belly

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Female Red Belly

Postby ffron69 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 am

I read that the Female red belly won't talk, is that true? If not how do I get her to talk, new baby hatched September 10 Thanks
ffron69
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Currently loooking
Flight: No

Re: Female Red Belly

Postby lzver » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 pm

I have a 5 year old female red belly and she's my best talker. I know others that have female red belly's that talk as well.

She's only 4 months old ... they don't start talking right away. Just keep talking to her and if she's going to talk (there's no guarantee) she'll surprise you one day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Female Red Belly

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 pm

I have heard that the best way to encourage speech is to speak to the bird consistently, enthusiastically and within a context (say Good Morning first thing in the morning, etc.). This has resulted in a green cheek with a few good phrases. Our Cape has a huge vocabulary, but most of it was acquired from the bird store he spent a couple of years in. They'd bring in boarders (housed in a separate room) and I think he must know all the cell phone rings, microwave beeps, etc. in Tarzana. He has 5 or 6 different "Hellos". "Hey Birdie" he got from me, and that's now his default contact call.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations