Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

amazon interrupting me

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

amazon interrupting me

Postby reyz324 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:44 pm

A lot of times when i am talking to some one my amazon always interupts me, then some one else says some thing and he will get quiet, as soon as i start to talk again he also begins. just curious why he does that?
reyz324
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Lored amazon
Flight: No

Re: amazon interrupting me

Postby pchela » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Haha! My senegal does the exact same thing! It sounds like he is mocking me or making fun of me and then when I stop talking, he stops. It's really funny. I don't know why for sure, but I think they just want to join in the conversation and probably are joining in with their favorite person.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 pm

My Amazon does the exact same thing! I can't hold him when I talk to my husband because my husband is very hard of hearing and he can't hear a word I'm saying over Mojo talking! He'll go word for word with me and stop when I stop if I'm holding him. I agree with pchela, I've always just thought of it as him wanting to join in on the conversation!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Marnie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 pm

our Amazon did this too! she'd out talk us everytime. if we stopped she stopped, if we started speaking so did she, we finally had to leave the room to have any kind of coversation at all.
same with the telephone, she would be in the background out talking me and mimicing my conversation. again i had to leave the room for every phone call. i can just imagine what the callers must have thought that was in the background making such bizarre conversation and noise!
Marnie
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds

Postby reyz324 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:07 am

hahaha its funny that they do that my amazon is pretty quiet for the most part except when he heres me talk
reyz324
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Lored amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 am

The only thing Scooter does like that (not being an Amazon) is sometimes when I really laugh at something, he laughs right along with me!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby snakesentwined » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh god - it *is* an Amazon thing, isn't it!! :lol:

I figured it was that 'flock-bonding' thing - similar to contact calling to make sure everyone is OK, even though they are out of sight. I guess it might also be the reverse of the saftey response that keeps them quiet when everyone else is quiet: in the jungle you don't want to draw attention to yourself by being the one making all the noise - but if everyone is shouting, you can shout too... ;)

Or maybe it's just some kind of choir instinct? ;) I know that we've had to start saving episodes of 'Glee' just because Isis loves to hollar away to the shopw tunes with the rest of the gang (or maybe that's just her having gay dads? :? )

But laughing is always a killer: if either of us laugh it will *always* trigger off Isis having a good laugh too; unfortunately, she has my cackle down so well that it just makes me laugh harder - which makes her laugh more too...!
"every man and woman is a star, governing their own orbit"

http://www.11am-gmt.blogspot.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/snakesentwined/
snakesentwined
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Yello-crowned Amazon Parrot

Postby MandyG » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:40 pm

My Amazon loves Glee too! And I love hearing an Amazon laugh. Mojo always laughs when somebody in the house laughs. The funniest thing he does is when my husband is teasing me Mojo will laugh at me without anybody else laughing first. Those are the only times I think Mojo and my husband actually agree on anything :lol: And of course I can't get mad at my husband after that because I'm laughing too hard at Mojo!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm

I love hearing parrots laugh! Both Lucy and Jessie laugh exactly like me, so sometimes we get into a laughing fest :)

This morning, Lucy was chatting away in her cage before I uncovered her and she'd laugh after everything that she said. Apparently she was cracking herself up this morning :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Giantmoa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 pm

I've had this happen to me- only it was with a scarlet macaw and an amazon! its really funny but somewhat inconvenient :lol: Rainbow, however, is pretty polite about these things and only starts to chatter along if I get excited

and I have to agree- parrot laughing is too funny. I heard it for the first time a couple weeks ago and it cracked me up! I was laughing at the amazon at work as she dangled from a toy trying to get a nut, then the scarlet macaw decided to join in. her chuckle is just a tad bit evil sounding... :macaw2:
lzver wrote:This morning, Lucy was chatting away in her cage before I uncovered her and she'd laugh after everything that she said. Apparently she was cracking herself up this morning :lol:

:lol: there's nothing like having a parrot around to brighten your morning!
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations