Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

SHE TALKED!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

SHE TALKED!

Postby Chris&Akilah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Ok I swear Akilah said "Birdy" clear as a bell today. There is a small bird feeder just outside the window which she always hangs out in front of. When I see her watching the birds I'll say "do you see the birdies?" Well, late this afternoon she was on her window perch, quiet and half-asleep and I was reading, the room was silent. I hear a tweet from outside and watched a house sparrow land on the feeder. Akilah cocked her head and said "Birdie." I couldn't believe it!! She wouldn't say it again though. I'm still not sure if I imagined it...hope not!
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: SHE TALKED!

Postby zazanomore » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 pm

That's fantastic!

I remember when Einstein started saying "love you". At first, I thought it was just my imagination. But he kept on saying it over and over. Now when I tell him "love you" he usually says it right back.

After he said his first word, then it only took him days to start saying other words, and now he can say small phrases.

I'm not sure if this was just the way Einstein is, but maybe you'll find her saying more and more phrases as she becomes more confident in herself.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 am

Oooh congrats!! :D
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Chris&Akilah » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Today she said "ood irdy" :lol: She sounds like a robot talking on a ham-radio but it's talking nonetheless! I'm sooo proud of her, talking wasn't something I really expected and wasn't a consideration when I got a parrot but its unbelievable that she is already starting! :danicing:
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Yay! I have to admit talking is fun! You may catch her "practicing" when it is quiet or if she's someplace echo-y. I think making a positive fuss and talking back helps encourage it.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Being really over-excited does help with their confidence. Actually, with Einstein, when doing basic commands, he doesn't need a treat as an award. His reward is me praising him with great enthusiasm.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby MandyG » Wed May 18, 2011 8:42 am

That's great! I love listening to birds learning how to talk. When Mojo is practicing new words it's adorable how he sits there and keeps quietly mumbling them to himself, trying to learn how to say them without anybody hearing him. Once he's more confident he'll try saying it to me. It's fun to try to figure out what word he's trying to say before he has perfected it.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Yay! I have to admit talking is fun! You may catch her "practicing" when it is quiet or if she's someplace echo-y. I think making a positive fuss and talking back helps encourage it.

A few years ago I heard Rambo talking in the sun room. I peeked around the corner to see who he was talking to. No one else was there. He was on top of his cage looking out the window saying words at random in a quiet voice. He was practicing.

I couldn't help it - I laughed. He whirled around and yelled "DON'T YOU EVER EVER EVER". Meaning don't ever sneek up on him again.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby cornettocockatiel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Congrats on getting ur bird to talk! Keep it up and start teaching her new words
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby liz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Chris&Akilah wrote:Today she said "ood irdy" :lol: She sounds like a robot talking on a ham-radio but it's talking nonetheless! I'm sooo proud of her, talking wasn't something I really expected and wasn't a consideration when I got a parrot but its unbelievable that she is already starting! :danicing:

How is she doing now? She knew that she was looking at a birdie because you told her what it was. Has she started rearanging her words to tell you things?

When Myrtle started talking she just didn't shut up. When she has a very very vocal day I think of the woman who told me she never makes a noise. Today she flew to the mirror and said "hello there Myrtle". She is learning just as a child. She picks up things she hears around her. She still won't say anything I want her to say. She still baby talks. It sounds like she is trying to tell us something but in another language.

Rambo on the other hand talks when he has something to say.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations