Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Speaking in context

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Speaking in context

Postby Polarn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 pm

My stepfather had a parrot when he and my mom met sometimes during the 80's.... anyways my stepfather was by that time was quite a heavy drinker, he had to become sober in order to get to meet my and my little brother and has been sober ever since, anyways every time we had company over for dinner or something that had a beer, as soon as "jackson" saw the beercan he would go "pkssst" mimicking the sound of a can being opened. he also mimicked the phone good enough so that we quite often answered the phone even tho it wasnt ringing. well, he talked alot, an :gray: he was and was the whole families little baby.

Oh, he also called the dog. and also did let you know the coffee break was over when someone had a cup of coffee.

As i sed he used to be with my stepdad everywhere, including at work, and my stepdad was selfemployed and apperently didnt like his staff drinking coffee and slacking when there wasnt time for a break... but even tho he moved in with my mother and us and stayed stationary in our home some things still prolonged for the 17 years he was with us. I have no idea how old he was when my stepdad got him but he had had him for about 25 years before he moved in with us...

But as far as context... i dunno the hello, goodbye and goodmorning etc comes out in context, but still they do have the que of someone entering someone putting on their shoes or lights being turned on/off
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Mine are like two kids. Sometimes I say "break it up" "or cut it out" or even "Myrtle leave Rambo alone". She can be a pesty little sister. Rambo sometimes says those things if I am not in the room to referee.

What is funny is the things they come up with on their own like Rambo telling Rachel "pick me up".

Myrtle was yelling "Momma, Rambo not come're" repeatedly. I finally asked her what was wrong. She was on the curtain and Rambo was on the floor. She looked at him and said "Momma, Rambo not come're". She wanted me to put him up with her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ljeanne » Tue May 08, 2012 12:22 am

i imitate my birds and then they seem to get it. but they also teach each other.
my cag's name is romeo and he says that alot so now my tag says romeo, not bad but his name is jake.
male quaker taught female to sing old mcdonald now we don't which is which.
senegal says "pretty baby, who's pretty, peak a baby and now quakers do too.
quakers also say good night and good morning but one of them adds the wrong one sometimes for a laugh.
ljeanne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: timneh grey, senegal parrot, and budgies
congo grey and blue front amazon, ducorps cockatoo, and princess of whales parakeet
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 am

George the peach fronted we had from another home suprised me. I was living in a teeny flat at the time and I put him in the kitchen for a quarantine period. Literally an hour after his arrival I went to fill the kettle up and clear as day I heard 'don't do that' so I went up to him and started saying what did you say, its my kitchen and gave him some general attention as I was so shocked because I was told he had never spoken. After a short time I went back to putting the kettle on and then I heard him speaking again 'I told you not to do that'
I never heard him say those words ever again although he did know other words. 'hello' in about 20 different tones of voices, he would just sit there going helo, hello, HELLOOOOOOhelllllooooooo HELLO!!! 'boogie' 'whatcha doing' and 'opps a daisy'
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby coleen » Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 am

My one grey will say good morning, only in the morning & he will tell me when he wants to go to bed at nite by saying nite nite! He has a huge vocabulary has used words in a sentence on his own, and for the most part all the sentences has made sence.
Coleen
coleen
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: timneh african grey, congo african grey, & a parrotlet

Previous

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations