Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Speaking in context

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Speaking in context

Postby dusty » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 am

my blue fronted amazon will say good night when i turn the lights off at night...my congo african grey said kisses the other day and pecked me on the cheek...there is no doubt in my mind they know what they are saying

dusty
dusty
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: congo african grey...
blue fronted amazons...
sun conure...
green cheeked conure..
green pacifics
Flight: No

Postby liz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm

I knew Rambo for years before I got him. He talked a lot but it didn't dawn on me that he was actually communicating.

His first week here, I was calling our little dog "Lola come here". I said it a few times then Rambo look in that direction and said "LaLa comeer". This went on a few more times and we got tired of calling. That is when Rambo turned and looked straight in my face and said "LaLa not comeer".

He can hold a conversation with what words he has by changing them around and using words that are not correct grammer but do work. He will ask a question and want an answer. "Momma where you at".

The other day he was looking out the window and saw Riddick (dog). He started calling "Riddick comeer - comeer boy comeer - hurry hurry" and whistled for him. Then he said "RIDDICK, WHY WON'T YOU COMEER?"

He is the equivelant of a 5 year old with a speach impediment.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm

dusty wrote:my blue fronted amazon will say good night when i turn the lights off at night...my congo african grey said kisses the other day and pecked me on the cheek...there is no doubt in my mind they know what they are saying

dusty

My cockatiel does the same action as a Grey. World's Smartest Cockatiel!
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby nagelsan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:53 am

Hi,
First of all, sorry if i make any grammar mistakes, I'm from the netherlands and english is'nt my first language.
Only a few months ago we welcomed pim, an african grey, into our home.
He blamed his owner for the devorce and the less attention he got during this period of time.
His owner tryed to restore his trust for over more then two years, but it didn't work.
Eventually he desided to give him a better life and we came in contact with him.
We still keep in tough frequently.
Pim says a lot of things in context, in dutch ofcourse, but i'll translate.
If i get my keys, or my coat or say to him: say bye, he says: bye bye.
He also does that when i wave at him, or when i say that i'll be right back.
Most of the times he waves as well, with his paw and his wings.
When it's dark and i pick him up to bring to the attick where his cage is, he says: go to sleep.
when i pick up the phone, he already begins a conversation, starting with hello and ending with bye and a whole lot in between.
When i grap his standard, where he is sitting on, he says: hold on.
When i am finished doing something, he says: sooooo
The other day he called my husband by his first name, but when i leave the room he calles me back with the name of his previous owners girlfriend.
he still has to lurn my name hahaha.
those are some examples, he supposenly could talk like einstein, barf when i ask what a dogs does etc. but i haven't heard it yet.
Its not importend to me, but i sometimes turn of the tv to listen to him and all of his noices, words and whistles
nagelsan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Senegal Parrot, White cockatoo

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 am

nagelsan wrote:Hi,
First of all, sorry if i make any grammar mistakes, I'm from the netherlands and english is'nt my first language.
Only a few months ago we welcomed pim, an african grey, into our home.
He blamed his owner for the devorce and the less attention he got during this period of time.
His owner tryed to restore his trust for over more then two years, but it didn't work.
Eventually he desided to give him a better life and we came in contact with him.
We still keep in tough frequently.
Pim says a lot of things in context, in dutch ofcourse, but i'll translate.
If i get my keys, or my coat or say to him: say bye, he says: bye bye.
He also does that when i wave at him, or when i say that i'll be right back.
Most of the times he waves as well, with his paw and his wings.
When it's dark and i pick him up to bring to the attick where his cage is, he says: go to sleep.
when i pick up the phone, he already begins a conversation, starting with hello and ending with bye and a whole lot in between.
When i grap his standard, where he is sitting on, he says: hold on.
When i am finished doing something, he says: sooooo
The other day he called my husband by his first name, but when i leave the room he calles me back with the name of his previous owners girlfriend.
he still has to lurn my name hahaha.
those are some examples, he supposenly could talk like einstein, barf when i ask what a dogs does etc. but i haven't heard it yet.
Its not importend to me, but i sometimes turn of the tv to listen to him and all of his noices, words and whistles

Your Pim sounds like my :amazon: Rambo. He is 20 years old but sounds like a 6 year old kid with a speach impediment. He understands everything. He has full control of the words he can say. He will rearange his words to ask questions and tell us things. We can have little conversations. I could go on forever talking about him. He is a preciouse little kid.

My :amazon2: Myrtle is 1 year old. She talks like a 2 year old kid. She is still repeating words that she hears but is just starting to learn what they mean. She says hello and good bye at the right time. When she wants me she says, Momma come here. If I peek around the corner she says peek a boo. She will sing and dance with me. She is a baby learning like a baby.

Rambo only talks when he has something to say. Myrtle talks constantly practicing her words.

Yes. Your Pim is a wonderful little creature that the LORD has made. I am in awe every day of the wonderouse things HE has created.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby nagelsan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 am

i agree.
He really is a wonder.
He barfs (if thats the right word) and then says excuse me.
he told me not to do that, when i was spraying him and he appologizes when he bites me (only for warning, no real bites).
When we laugh, he laughs with us and he dances when you put on music and make a whooo sound.
He says his name in 4 or 5 different ways and voices and when he looks at me he will say it with a womens voice instead of a mans voice.
i could go on and on, but some things are difficult to translate on the right way.
he's funny and i love him!
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 am

nagelsan wrote:i agree.
He really is a wonder.
He barfs (if thats the right word) and then says excuse me.
he told me not to do that, when i was spraying him and he appologizes when he bites me (only for warning, no real bites).
When we laugh, he laughs with us and he dances when you put on music and make a whooo sound.
He says his name in 4 or 5 different ways and voices and when he looks at me he will say it with a womens voice instead of a mans voice.
i could go on and on, but some things are difficult to translate on the right way.
he's funny and i love him!

Burp is the word you are looking for. Barf means to vomite or throw up. I think your English is very good. I only have English and I don't always get that right. My spelling is awful.

He and Rambo are about at the same level. How old is he? When you go on www.YouTube.com and key in talking parrots, that is what you get. Parrots talking and saying one thing after another that they have learned to copy. Very few of them can hold a conversation.

Yes I could go on and on but it would take a lot of time to type and I don't think theparrotforum would appreciate me taking so much space. I wish we live in the same neighborhood. I think we and are kids would be good friends. Except for :amazon2: Myrtle. She is affraid of :gray: .
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby nagelsan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks and yes, that was the word i was looking for thank you.
I also think we could be friends, but because we don't live in the same neighborhood and not even in the same country, i guess we'll have to do with online chatting.
My cockatoo is afraid of every other bird.
I got him and my african grey Pim on the same standard during the day, because it is a large one.
But when Pim is getting near, he runs off to the farest point, to avoide being close.
they won't fight and they leave each other alone, so it's fine by me.
My senegal parrot has to be on her own standard though.
She is a real lady and always trying to get contact with the other two, mostly with her beak.
(she will bite the larger ones!)
I wrote a large piece about my parrots at the introduction part, under: hello from the netherlands.
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby nagelsan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

by the way, he can talk for hours, repeating everything he knows, but he can also make a conversation, ask me for a nut when he wants to and ask me to do things for him or to don't.
he knows exactly what he is saying.
I have to spray him every week, once, with apple sinegar.
He had an accident at his previous owner, that made him loose some feathers around his neck.
To make sure he lets the new feathers stay there and don't take them out, he has to be sprayed.
When i have done that, what he hates, he always wants a kiss, to let me make up for that bad thing i just did to him. his beak is then still all wet from de sinegar and tastes really awfull.
But i do it anyway. Last time he said that to me: "give me a kiss? Oh you did it anyway?" hahahaha
And a while ago, my family in law where visiting and we where having a conversation in the garden.
My mother in law was telling about something that she had dropped on the floor.
Pim responded with: "pick it up"
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 am

nagelsan wrote:by the way, he can talk for hours, repeating everything he knows, but he can also make a conversation, ask me for a nut when he wants to and ask me to do things for him or to don't.
he knows exactly what he is saying.
I have to spray him every week, once, with apple sinegar.
He had an accident at his previous owner, that made him loose some feathers around his neck.
To make sure he lets the new feathers stay there and don't take them out, he has to be sprayed.
When i have done that, what he hates, he always wants a kiss, to let me make up for that bad thing i just did to him. his beak is then still all wet from de sinegar and tastes really awfull.
But i do it anyway. Last time he said that to me: "give me a kiss? Oh you did it anyway?" hahahaha
And a while ago, my family in law where visiting and we where having a conversation in the garden.
My mother in law was telling about something that she had dropped on the floor.
Pim responded with: "pick it up"

I love it. They are little kids with feathers.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations