Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Speaking in context

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Speaking in context

Postby coral » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

How old is your parrot and what age do those types of parrots start to talk? Sometimes their shy but don't worry im sure he'll start soon! You should try with easy stuff first like hi hello goodbye and their name seem to be the most common words learned because their so excited when you come home and go hi! Bird name! They'll likely start to repeat it
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 am

My Amazon definitely speaks in context. He knows the names of objects and has even made his own appropriate sentences out of words he's learned from other sentences. Now, I'm not sure if he actually means he loves me when he says "I love you" but I like to think he means it and feels that way ;) .

I do think that he fully understands the meaning behind words such as; no, wanna come out, and step up. He usually will say "No" or "Stop it" when the dogs are barking (simply behaving a particular way in a particular situation) but he will also say "No" to me when I'm doing something he doesn't like. And his body language is also telling me he wants me to stop doing what I'm doing so I believe he fully understands what it means. He also fully understands "Step up" and "Wanna come out" because he will only say them when he actually wants to be picked up or wants to be let out of his cage. If he's just hanging out and doing his own thing in his cage or is in a bad mood he won't ask to come out when he sees me, but if he does want to come out he will bow down and shake his wings and repeat "Wanna come out!". He doesn't say "Wanna come out" at any other time. Also if he's on the floor or on a perch and he decides he wants to be picked up he will lift his foot and say "Step up?", but he doesn't say it at any other time. If I tell him "No" or "I"m busy" or "Not right now" he will go back to doing his own thing, but if I simply ignore him he seems to think I just didn't hear him and will fly to me instead of waiting to be picked up :lol: .

My conure doesn't talk. She simply chirps, screams, or shrieks louder than I ever thought was possible :lol: .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby patdbunny » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am

The breeder greys play Marco Polo with us. We use Marco/Polo to locate each other in the house. Sometimes they answer "Polo". Sometimes they say "Marco" and we'll respond to them w/ "Polo".
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby kaylayuh » Wed May 18, 2011 10:33 am

patdbunny wrote:The breeder greys play Marco Polo with us. We use Marco/Polo to locate each other in the house. Sometimes they answer "Polo". Sometimes they say "Marco" and we'll respond to them w/ "Polo".

LOL! That's cute! It also reminds me of a news story here a few days ago. The police had to raid a house in the next city over. One of the officers called his partner, named Marco, because he thought the house was empty. Turns out it wasn't, because the person called back "Polo". I wish I could find the story, it was hilarious. The guy was suspected of running some kind of drug ring.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby GlassOnion » Wed May 18, 2011 11:10 am

patdbunny wrote:The breeder greys play Marco Polo with us. We use Marco/Polo to locate each other in the house. Sometimes they answer "Polo". Sometimes they say "Marco" and we'll respond to them w/ "Polo".

Roz, I hope you know that cause of you, I now have a long term goal to teach Marco Polo to some of my future birds. :o
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby patdbunny » Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am

:senegal:
Last edited by patdbunny on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby GlassOnion » Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I thought the creepiest was hearing a little girl voice going,"Daddy?" in the middle of the night. :lol:
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby pchela » Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Context is one thing, meaning another. For example "Stop it!" is a set of sounds that could be associated with a certain degree of agitation/conflict and used in that situation. Irene Pepperberg felt that Alex using "I'm sorry" was like this -- he new it was a set of sounds that are made in a situation where people are unhappy and that it could defuse the situation. That doesn't mean he truly meant he was sorry in the way a person using language would. I think there is a progression: mimicry -> context/labeling -> meaning. Ours seem to have some sense of context and use words and phrases consistently in certain situations, but neither uses labels and I would hesitate to to jump to a conclusion about meaning. But I'm a trained skeptic...

I agree... Nicodemus speaks in context all of the time. He says good night and good morning at the right times, he says excuse me after someone sneezes etc... but he's memorized that those are the times when those sounds get made. It's very cute, but he isn't really thinking he hopes I have a good night! But - what is this? Alex took separate ideas and made them his own. For example, he could identify the color yellow and the shape long (is that a shape?) Anyway, he, on his own, started asking for long yellow and they figured out he was asking for corn on the cob. How does that fit it? Labeling I assume? So, I do think that's possible.

Also, this is a stretch, but say you always say I love you when you cuddle with your bird. Your bird learns to say I love you in this context. But - he is also cuddling with you and content and who knows what they are feeling but if they are happy I'd venture to say they are feeling some sort of love. So, is that in context and using meaning?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby HeatherFeather » Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Vikki wrote:The night I brought Sebastian, my Harlequin, home from the rescue I had been walking around with him on my arm and before I left, I had to go down to the basement to get things out of the cage where he had been living at the rescue. It was after "lights out" and the stairway down to the basement was dark. I didn't want to turn the light on because then all the birds who had just quieted down would start screaming again. At any rate, I headed down the dark stairway at which point Sebastian crawled up to my shoulder and leaned in to me really close and put his face against mine and said, in a whisper no less "It's dark, what's down here? Where are we going?" I actually answered him without realizing he was having a conversation with me and said "I need to get some of your things out of your cage before I take you home" and he said "ohhhhh"....like he understood. I'm telling you, birds are way smarter than we realize.

You have got to be kidding! That's so funny! I can just picture that. Smart cookie indeed.
Heather
HeatherFeather
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 am

jango will say hello when ever i walk past his cage he will also say kiss then make a kissing sound and bowing his head, its very cute. Qwil just talks to his bell all day
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations